Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio Systems (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/)
-   -   Power Distribution (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems/916880-power-distribution.html)

LQQK_OUT 10-22-2013 02:47 AM

Power Distribution

What's the best/recommended method of connecting a number of accessories to the battery for power and ground? Does everyone just connect directly to the battery or is there some sort of power distribution block I should use? For instance, on my bike I have and will need the following devices connected to the battery:

battery tender cable
relay isolator for trailer
amp
motolights

This just seems like a lot of ring terminals to attach to the battery post. I'm not even sure the battery tray cover would fit (2011 Ultra) with this many ring terminals connected.

Pioneer74 10-22-2013 04:43 AM

The battery tender should go directly to the battery. The rest could be ran off a distribution block.

UltraNutZ 10-22-2013 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pioneer74 (Post 11901239)
The battery tender should go directly to the battery. The rest could be ran off a distribution block.

I agree.

If you want to keep your power tray clean and neat then put one of these to the left (in front of) of your fuse panel under the left side cover.

For the accessories you're talking about, I would run an 8ga wire from the battery to the distribution block with a 40A inline fuse at the battery.

Then on each of the 4 outputs, you run the recommended wire and fuse size your accessory calls for.

Word to the wise. If you do this and use screws to mount the distribution block to the plastic as I did, MAKE SURE that the top screw will not pierce the wiring harness that is located behind the plastic.

Here's mine for my amps.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/1wa6vzrfgqn...014_162210.jpg

MontyCop05 10-22-2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT (Post 11901167)
What's the best/recommended method of connecting a number of accessories to the battery for power and ground? Does everyone just connect directly to the battery or is there some sort of power distribution block I should use? For instance, on my bike I have and will need the following devices connected to the battery:

battery tender cable
amp
motolights

This just seems like a lot of ring terminals to attach to the battery post. I'm not even sure the battery tray cover would fit (2011 Ultra) with this many ring terminals connected.

LQQK OUT,

Do you already have motolights? Or is that a planned purchase?

Pioneer74 10-22-2013 08:39 AM

FYI, the fuse block will not fit there if you have the security siren.

UltraNutZ 10-22-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pioneer74 (Post 11901740)
FYI, the fuse block will not fit there if you have the security siren.

true but I have to leave something to the imagination..

nhrider1 10-22-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT (Post 11901167)

battery tender cable
amp
motolights

Each circuit should be separately fused and run to the battery. You can join all the circuits together with a single large guage ring terminal. This protects the individual circuits and wiring and simplifies troubleshooting if there are problems.

LQQK_OUT 10-22-2013 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MontyCop05 (Post 11901414)
LQQK OUT,

Do you already have motolights? Or is that a planned purchase?

I already own them. Actually, they were purchased a few years ago and I'm just now getting around to installing them.

LQQK_OUT 10-22-2013 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by nhrider1 (Post 11902491)
Each circuit should be separately fused and run to the battery. You can join all the circuits together with a single large guage ring terminal. This protects the individual circuits and wiring and simplifies troubleshooting if there are problems.

Now why didn't I think of that???? A simple and obvious solution. I like it. Thanks!