Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DIY iPod/iPhone controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My DIY iPod/iPhone controls

I was bored, and like the challenge of trying to figure something out. I use my iPhone as my primary music/gps device when riding, but touch screen is hard to use, even with gloves designed for it.

That being the case I wanted to design something stock in appearance, but that would let me hit next/prev/play/pause while riding. This is what I came up with.

I started with this Griffin Remote. It works very close to how the remote in the stock apple headphones works.

I opened the remote up, soldered a 4 wire molex connector to the board, and put it in a small plastic box with a little hot glue. The box has a headphone wire that will plug into my phone, and a 3.5mm female jack that I will run a wire from to the AUX on the factory stereo.

I bought a factory switch from radio controls (Part # 71717-02), and intend on installing it into a factory auxiliary switch housing (Part # 70248-02B) or gear indicator with switch housing (Part # 70900078). I haven't decide yet. The switch has 3 momentary positions the same as the remote I used so the functionality is the same.

Updates to come and I'll include photos. It is overkill I know, and not cost effective, but I like projects. Maybe someone else will see what I did and figure something simpler out of the same type of idea.

Attached Thumbnails My DIY iPod/iPhone controls-img_0891.jpg   My DIY iPod/iPhone controls-img_0893.jpg   My DIY iPod/iPhone controls-img_0889.jpg   My DIY iPod/iPhone controls-img_0894.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

that's what I call thinking outside the box! great job sir.. keep us posted...

Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM
rbferg
Road Master

Where will it be mounted?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

It will be mounted in the fairing and the line for the phone will come out to my windshield bag where I mount my phone. The aux line sneaks out at the handlebars and plugs into the aux input. You won't see any of it really.

I already run a charger line and aux line that way. This will just be added to it. I wired a cigarette charger inside the fairing that I use to charge the phone.

I'll be sure to post pics when done. I still have to order aux switch housing or gear indicator to put switch in but that's all that's left.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM
craving94509
Tourer

I am all for ingenuity. While searching around I found this in case it interests you?

http://www.uniqcyclesounds.com/handl...torcycles.html

Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by craving94509
I am all for ingenuity. While searching around I found this in case it interests you?

http://www.uniqcyclesounds.com/handl...torcycles.html
Thanks! I saw that but I have the new phone so I would have to use an adapter from the 30pin to the lightning plug. Using that is a pain and rattles loose in my experience since I have my phone mounted in front of me. There's lots of great options for 30pin plugs. Nothing for lightning and nothing weather proof that is bluetooth that I found.

I also like the idea of not having batteries to replace.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 PM
klimoman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a cool idea. I just hit shuffle on my iPhone playlist and then forget about it. No need to control anything further.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klimoman
Seems like a cool idea. I just hit shuffle on my iPhone playlist and then forget about it. No need to control anything further.
That's what I do now with playlists...but there is always a batch of songs your just not in the mood for but sounded good when you made the list.

I also just realized I should try and find a used left hand controls stock switch housing from a touring bike with the CB radio controls and just hijack the squelch/PTT button. That would be exactly what I need. Im trying to figure out the part numbers as we speak if anyone as any ideas where to get one or where to look. I am sure someones got them laying around from putting the chrome housing on. I only need the lower left housing from something with a CB. It looks like the switches are all the same so the one I have will plug right in.

Last edited by bsnilloc; 02-28-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Just ordered factory switch housing from ebay to give me a spot for my switch. Should be perfect!

I have a street glide so I will be going from just the volume to the volume and my switch on the left controls.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser

Well after a few headaches and some learning curves the project is done. Not road tested yet as there is still snow here, but works in the garage.

of how I have it setup.

Quick Reply: My DIY iPod/iPhone controls