Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Another Aerocharge Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 AM
bobz74
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick update on my build. Fired the bike up last weekend after the fresh 107 stage 3 Drago build. Used a base map that Drago supplied me, after getting some heat cycles in it and a road test all was good!

Won't bore you guys with all the details of the day but here is where we ended up without ever touching the map. This was at 11 pounds of boost. AFR was still on the fat side. I actually have another graph where I made 206hp but it had a torque spike so I posted the two clean back to back runs.

We also pulled the my buddies Trask bike on that was also making 11lbs with a 107 and 585 cams and hand ported head that bike made 141hp.

I have since back down to a 7lb spring and playing with the Auto tune until I can find someone in the area I'm comfortable with to tune it perfectly. Also not sure I even want to run this bike at that power level based upon all the things that could go wrong. We will see where I end up, but for now the drivability is great and its fun to ride.

I can't say enough about Frank at Drago's he was spot on with everything he told me and someday might be crazy enough to make the trip from PA to Chicago to get him to tune it right!

Needless to say my Trask buddies are thinking of going to his heads and cams!

More to come!!

Attached Thumbnails Another Aerocharge Install-harley-dyno.jpg  
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Deadstroke
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some day? No way man we are making that trip get on that bike and lets ride lol..

Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 PM
bobz74
Novice

Originally Posted by Deadstroke
Some day? No way man we are making that trip get on that bike and lets ride lol..

HA HA Deadstroke and I made friends, we have been comparing notes and helping each other out on our builds! He is pretty aggressive with talking me into road trips! More to come on that too!!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great post, very informative and well done, thanks Bobz. Your bike sounds like its making some serious power. I think the turbo choice, Trask or Aero is more of an aesthetics choice for people more than a power thing. Honestly I like the look of the Procharger better, but for reliability and install ease the Aerocharger seems like the best choice although after seeing that passenger picture it sure looks like their foot/heal is going to be very close to the turbo and with no heat shield that will slowly cook a foot, literally.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:40 AM
FRANK DRAGO
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Numbers look great nice mountain style curves !!!!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM
bobz74
Novice

Originally Posted by FRANK DRAGO
Numbers look great nice mountain style curves !!!!
Thanks Frank!!

Your parts and knowledge is what got me there! You have my business from now on, already started referring friends. (pretty easy to refer people when they see the results)

Anyone thinking of modifications would be crazy not to give Frank a call, every word he told was backed up with his actions and results! All I ever ask from anyone I deal with! DON'T BS ME!

Nothing happens with my bike moving forward without a call to Frank!

Hope to make the trip from PA to IL someday for the final tune!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Aerocharger_jerry
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ProAction14 The turbo was positioned so the hot side is on the bottom and is stainless steel with a ceramic coating as well as a insulator and a stainless heat shield that was also coated with a ceramic paint. and Compressor side is up and remains cool so there is no issue with any cooking feet.

Bobz74 Glad to here that you bike is running great Send us some pictures and a run down of what you did and we can put together a little feature of you build. You an send it to info@aerocharger.com

Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Deadstroke
Tourer

Originally Posted by Proaction14
What a great post, very informative and well done, thanks Bobz. Your bike sounds like its making some serious power. I think the turbo choice, Trask or Aero is more of an aesthetics choice for people more than a power thing. Honestly I like the look of the Procharger better, but for reliability and install ease the Aerocharger seems like the best choice although after seeing that passenger picture it sure looks like their foot/heal is going to be very close to the turbo and with no heat shield that will slowly cook a foot, literally.
It isnt as bad as you may think, The heal is near the filter and the passenger has plenty of room, It actually gives off less heat than my 124. Working on a extension bracket to put on floorboards again (floorboards dont fit on the intercooler side) Stcok pegs fit with no issue..

Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Deadstroke
Tourer

On this topic Bob and I have had many conversations about tuning.

Power Commander V PTI - This is what I started with. I got the base map from Aerocharger and rolled.. Good base to start with very little issues auto-tune seemed to corrected them. main issues I had with this tune was gas mileage and stutter at 2600-3200rpms. Finally got the gas mileage to a reasonable spot 30mpg and the sputter to 2800-3200. I never got rid of the sputter. If I got it on a dyno I believe I would have been able to smooth it out and got a little better mileage.

Thundermax Tuner - So I didnt consider this because I dont know much about this tuner and everyone was using the PCV. Started talking to Bob and he send me his tune so I did the switch up. Just because I wanted a clean start I re-ran all the lines, Bob came over and took the turbo apart to check the vanes (I did find a issue here that we fixed) and hooked up the boost gauge and ran the auto tune 3 times. Still had the sputter but wasnt nearly as bad and by the end of the 3rd tune it was almost gone. Just wasnt as snappy though when you twist the throttle.

So one last adjustment. I adjusted the vanes a little for better response and that resolved the issue. (not as snappy still but good) Also had a mileage increase 34mpg hwy was a little better..

So that is my experience with the tuners..

After further investigation I also found out that the issue probably wasnt the tune or the tuner it prob was the 585 cam. It is a little too much I talked to 2 other shops that used different cams and they had no issues with a stutter at all the base tune was good enough to auto tune from and less than a hour on the dyno after that.
----------------------------------------------------------

Next steps since I blew both head gaskets (dont ask this was probably my fault) I am going with a stage 3 blower kit from Frank so I can keep up with Bob Also considering putting one of these my on custom bike that has the 124 if it doesn't sell by august. I am about 6 weeks out from being on the road again with the turbo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cam Recommendation would be Franks 570 blower Cam
Boost - 5 pounds any more replace the head gaskets
You can do this without head work but remember dont forget the crank work if you go with even more engine work. Not saying anything would happen by why risk it
Also right now the only engine kits I can recommend are franks at Drago Bike Works, I have seen his kits and road them and they are solid.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
bobz74
Novice

Sneak Peak!

More to come in the next few weeks.

Attached Thumbnails Another Aerocharge Install-img_4479.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another Aerocharge Install