Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Another Aerocharge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM
bobz74
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Aerocharge Install

I just completed the install on my 2014 Street Glide. I went with the 53 serieskit with intercooler, S&S 585 cams. Also, after talking to Aerochargerabout my riding habits and future plans I went with the largest wheels offered in the turbo. Next winter I will be building up the motor and turning up boost a bit.

I can't say enough good things about dealing Aerocharger, top notch customer service and knowledge! They were always available to talk and calls backs same day! Was also told to call the during install with any question was offered a cell phone number for the weekends! I spoke to the same person (Brad owner) during my entire purchase and after the sale, that is very important to me!

Little back round I ride with 4 other guys all who have Trask Systems, two of which onbuilt 107" motors with 12 psi other 2 are stock. All bike rungreat and no one has had a single issue in 3 years. These bikes are ran hard invery hot weather and all seen the drag strip and multiple bike weeks. So you would say why not go with a Trask system, few reasons, wanted to be different, stir the pot and last but most important HEAT! When I ride their bikes in the heat or slow speeds I roast. But once you feel the power you are hooked.

So I decided to go with Aerocharger for a few reasons, one turbo is behind you andself contained oiling system, this is what sold me on this system. After installing it and my list has grown to fit and finish, the look in person, inmy opinion no other system looks as good on the bike.

The install was a absolute joke, I'm not a mechanic but I do most of all my own work on my cars and bike however if you can install and exhaust you can do this kit. Great packaging, instructions and quality.

I already had a Thundermax installed on the bike, so my concern was getting atune/basemap. I was fortunate that Thundermax has worked with Aerochargers systems and had a tune for my combination. Thundermax was also great to dea lwith and spoke highly of the Aerocharger system which was reassuring to hear! Also I was able to use a 2.5 bar map which was a direct plug in so no soldering of wired into stock harness.

The weather in Philly has been cold and wet but I finished the install on Sunday and was able to take it out for 10 mins. All I can say is WOW! I did not install the boost gauge so I keep it under 3500rpm until I know exactly where my boost is. The drivability is what is most impressive, it runs perfect and feels great, that is what is important to me! Do I plan on putting it on the dyno to see what kind of power it makes? YES do I care if it has 10 less hp then advertised (not saying it will) NO! The drivability is better then before the turbo, which was just a pipe and a tune! It really is night and day! The bike now runs as it should.

More to come on boost, gauge was installed last night and will take it out thisweekend. Right now it has 5psi spring, I like to be around 7 to 8, another good part of system just change out the spring, not need for boost controller, one more component to go bad!

Here few pics of the system and some of buddies bike

Attached Thumbnails Another Aerocharge Install-img_3801.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_3802.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_3806.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_3811.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_3812.jpg  

Another Aerocharge Install-img_0814.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_2779.png  
Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 AM
FastBagger07
Road Captain

I don't care for them to me they look like an after thought sorta homemade I guess.But its your bike and your happy with it and that's all that matters.Ride safe.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:03 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Hey thanks 4 the detailed thread!! I'm interested in possibly going the Turbo route on my Glide and been looking @ Aerocharger and Trask. That's pretty cool your buddies got Trask systems so it allows you to give a real honest review of the 2 systems.

My only question is how much does that turbo affect the passenger on the right side? Is it something that cramps their foot uncomfortably on the peg or constantly gets in the way ?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
bobz74
Novice

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
Hey thanks 4 the detailed thread!! I'm interested in possibly going the Turbo route on my Glide and been looking @ Aerocharger and Trask. That's pretty cool your buddies got Trask systems so it allows you to give a real honest review of the 2 systems.

My only question is how much does that turbo affect the passenger on the right side? Is it something that cramps their foot uncomfortably on the peg or constantly gets in the way ?
Not at all. When I get the bike off the lift I will get you a detailed pic of someone sitting on the back. Give me a day or two.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobz74
Not at all. When I get the bike off the lift I will get you a detailed pic of someone sitting on the back. Give me a day or two.
Much appreciated!!!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM
bobz74
Novice

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15

As Promised! BTW 5'9" 30" inseam

Attached Thumbnails Another Aerocharge Install-img_3835.jpg   Another Aerocharge Install-img_3836.jpg  

Last edited by bobz74; 04-18-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: adding add'l info
Old 04-18-2016, 07:37 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Interesting

Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobz74
As Promised! BTW 5'9" 30" inseam
Thanks a lot!! That was 1 of my biggest concerns with that system. Let me know how you like it after you put some real miles on it. Curious to know how it holds up and performs vs your buddies Trask systems.

I was looking into building up my motor or dropping a crate in it but honestly I'm just looking for a little more top end when I really get on it and I'd be satisfied. Figure I could beef up my current motor to handle the Xtra HP and go with an Aerocharger turbo

Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM
bobz74
Novice

Time for an update after a few rides:

I took the bike out for a nice ride on Saturday with the 5 psi spring that comes installed on the turbo from Aerocharger. Everything about the bike was better then stock, drivability and power wise, felt no additional heat or any area of concern. I was alone and did about 50 miles and bike ran great. I was not easy on it all, few hole shots and a few redlines all thru the gears. My gauge was showing 6 psi.

So on Sunday had a planned ride with a few of my buddies both with Trask setups. One stock 103 with 255 cams 8psi and another with built 106 with 585 cams and head work, his has been on the dyno at 11psi 160hp. My setup is stock 103 with 585 cams, I'm running the 53 series kit with the largest compressor and turbine wheels offered for that turbo.

Me and the 106 trask bike drove 20 miles to meet up with the 103 trask bike.
We did 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the way. Each pull was always even or at best he had a bike on me. I'm also 60lbs heavier rider. Needless to say I was shocked and happy, my buddy was happy for me but was scratching his head. We met up with other buddy with the stock 103 8psi and did the same think with him and that wasn't even a race. The Aerocharger hits hard also NO turbo lag!! We continue to spend the day riding making a few stops, few more pulls when we could and couple hole shots. if you want to call them hole shots, more like donating rubber to the blacktop.

On the ride back at the end of the day getting off the highway I had to go around a few cars and when i made about 4psi I got some backfiring. Once back in town tried making boost and it would backfire. Well I did it and blew the head gasket.

Now let me tell you why this is 150% my fault. I pass the blame on no one and I stand by Aerocharger and will recommend them to anyone. The kit they sell if you were to place an order online is the turbo with the small wheels and 5psi spring. When i ordered mine I spoke with them and told them who I ride with and my plan to build the motor over the winter and wanted to be able to expand my system, why I went with larger wheels in the turbo.

I know if i left the 5psi spring in I would have been able to ride has hard as I wanted and not have the problem I did. Once i saw I was making close to 150hp (due to staying with a bike that was proven 160hp) I should have shut it down and said to much power for stock components. I'm taking full blame for my actions.

So I had a decision to make fix head gasket for $50 or build up my motor now instead of winter. SO I TOOK "FastBagger07" ADVICE!! I CALLED DRAGO!!!! After reading all his posts and bikes he has on the road I wanted to hear what he had to say! Well like everyone say the guys knows his stuff. I live in PA he is in IL. I have my own engine builder here however he in not a forced induction guy. So the parts are coming from Frank and my guy will do the build.
107" forged piston
drago stage 3 turbo heads
drago 570 turbo cam
S&S forged crank w/timken
58mm throttle body
70lb injectors
Drago thundermax base map

The parts are ordered, bike is in the shop getting broken down. It will go on the dyno when complete and Frank offered to help with the tune as best he can remotely.

So once complete we will see what this can do as we turn up the boost.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the comprehensive review!!! Sorry 2 hear about your motor but @ least you owned the mistake and not pass the blame. Much Respect....

Please keep us in the loop on your upcoming motor build. I'm curious to see how it turns out because I'm considering a similar setup. Just not sure if I wanna go Trask or Aerocharger? But the motor work is almost identical

Thanks

Quick Reply: Another Aerocharge Install