Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Mikuni hsr42 turbo plenum source?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:12 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

google is your friend as well as utube. info is there, just needs to be researched.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Christopher Pittman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accelerator pump diaphragm?

Originally Posted by usturbine
RcCustoms where are you located?

I am still running 3 Aerochargers, 2 on 94 and 95 Ultras and one on my 05SE vrod.

The guy that started the company that did the original Aerocharger development and kits lives near me in Batavia NY? I bought 6 of these kits back in 96 and installed them on Ultras. Heritages and wide glide. the original kits came with the HSR42 with a top entry plenum running around 12psi and getting around 95/100. After some additional development they found that buy going to a center inlet plenum and running the stock CV carb they could get almost the same 90/95 at 8 psi which helped stay away from detonation? I may still have an old plenum around and 1 or 2 HSR42 carbs from when I did the upgrade to the 2 Aerochargers I still have on mine and my brothers Ultras? I will look around this weekend and see what I can find? I may be able to contact the original owner and see if he has anything left laying around.

PM me I have the original manual in PDF from a scanned copy if you want it? the pics are kind of dark but I think you can make them out?

Dennis
how can I get this part or make it myself I've been fooling with this bike for over a year trying with the CV carburetor I've got an hsr42 now got the 2.3 fuel injection needle but I know the other mod to the Mikuni or some sort of diaphragm on the accelerator plunger I think that's all that's holding me yet also I'm getting extreme heat out of the rear cylinder just change the intake seals so I'm going to tear that apart and redo that but any help you can give me would be unbelievably appreciated

Old 01-14-2019, 09:31 AM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris

Not sure what the question is? Do you have an Inlet plenum that bolts to the carb? The CV carb should work stock with stock jetting as I recall and just plug the overflow with a rubber vacuum nipple and hold in place with a tie wrap. We switched from the HSR42 back to the stock CV carb and a center inlet plenum back in 97. What vintage setup do you have?
How much boost you trying to run? What are you using for fuel pump bypass regulation and what fuel pressure you running?

Dennis

Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Christopher Pittman
4th Gear
Default Accelerator pump diaphragm?

? Is what's with the accelerator pump diaphragm

Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM
usturbine
Cruiser

HMMM been about 13 years since I have had to mess with the HSR42 turbo carbs? Never really had any reason to get into them. They came modified in the kit and worked and never had problems. I seem to remember there was some mod to the accelerator pump though? I will see if I can get in contact with the guy that I originally bought the turbo kits from back in 96. He still lives near me and is on FB. I will send him a message and see if he can refresh my memory.

Dennis

Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM
usturbine
Cruiser

Chris
I got a hold of my contact and here is what he said.

He had the HSR42 carbs modified by Mikuni before he received them. The mod was a smaller needle valve and seat he thinks 1.8 or 1.5 and a diaphragm to seal the shaft.
One of the cost savers for the kit was to use the Stock CV carb. He said to use the stock CV carb he just plugged the overflow port as i mentioned early and changed the main and pilot jets but he is not sure if he left them stock or what size he changed them to?

I do remember when he gave me the updated center port plenum I gave him my modified NA CV carbs I was running in exchange for a stock CV carb without the needle, larger main and pilot jets and spring mods used on CV carbs back in the early days.

If you are interested in using a CV carb I can check the jet sizes in the current CV i use with the Aerocharger on my Ultra with a stock 80 inch EVO?

Hope this helps

Dennis

Old 01-17-2019, 01:19 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

one odd question from me. do you already have your system designed, and fabbed up? is it possible that a draw through set up might work out better for you? are you able to get the turbo in such a position that it might work? just curious, from my time in the auto world draw through systems always seemed to have less issues than blow through set ups, for things that were not factory designs.
m

Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Christopher Pittman
4th Gear
Default Aerocharger

Original question was how to modify the HSR accelerator pump to receive Boost from the aerocharger I have the CV kit and F-bomb the top off twice and bone for diaphragms so I want to go with the HSR I've purchased all the adapters needed to run the CV plenum with the HSR which moves everything out from the manifold and inch and a half so I've got spacers and 2 inch breather bolts to accommodate all the adapters and have some Plumbing issues for the intake charge to sort out but question is accelerator pump mod and thanks a lot guys for your responses

Old 06-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Christopher Pittman
4th Gear
Default Mikuni plenum

Hey Mikuni plenum would simplify my project quite a bit if anyone has one for sale

Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Christopher Pittman
4th Gear
Default Mikuni AP diaphram/ e85

Also I tried to make my own diaphram out of a small suction cup with a hole for the plunger rod but it caused the rod to stick and not return to neutral. Wish I could get a hold of the Mikuni diaphragm + before I make another post on an already lengthy thread on my behalf who knows about running E85 in a Harley

Quick Reply: Mikuni hsr42 turbo plenum source?