Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

New turbo install need help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:48 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New turbo install need help troubleshooting

I had a turbo installed by Trask a few days ago. They use the Thundermax.

Prior to turbo install I had pipes, air filter and Powervision tuner. Ran it hard, no issues.

After turbo install, If I twist throttle 70-80 % it runs hard. However, when I am at Wide Open Throttle, there is an issue.

Starting in 2nd, redline it, go to 3rd, redline it, shift to 4th. at WOT in 4th, there is a loud backfire and the bike shuts down. Here is the weird thing. I can turn the ignition off and it does not turn infotainment, lights or gauges off. I need to turn it off and on like 3 or 4 times then it will finally turn all of that stuff off. Bike needs to sit for 5-15 minutes and then it will start and run fine again.

Trask initially told me it was the system relay. Changed that. Same symptom. Now they are telling me they think there is a wiring issue with my amp. I call BS because it never did that prior to the trask install. I ran it through the gears with a few buddies prior to the trask install and this issue did not happen.

I am thinking it is something with the Thundermax. I told trask I am not going to chase an amp wiring issue until they work with me. They will be back in the office from Sturgis on Wednesday and they are going to work with me. Does it seem like there could be an issue with the thundermax?

Thanks for the input.

Bike is a 2016 Road Glide. Stock 103.

Last edited by glock221; 08-12-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add more info.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

this might sound like a dumb question, but to me there really aren't any dumb questions, are you using the map supplied from Trask in your unit, did you you double check your amp wiring after you got it back from their install, maybe they changed something there. do you have some means of monitoring engine temp or cylinder head temp. maybe things heat up very quicky under that hard a run and something needs to be addressed. one other thing is i have seeen touring model bike have that same ign off, but no power off issue when there was an issue developing with the switch, sometimes had to smack it around about while in the off position to make it actually turn off, maybe there is a vibe harmonic playing up and causing something. what is your max boost level pressure hitting and do you have a guage to keep tabs on that also, any turbo vehicle should have one as overboost issues get expensive very quickly, maybe there is an issue with the boost control system or whatever they use for a recirculation or dump system?
just kinda trying to throw out some ideas, i hope you get it worked out. please report your findings, thanks
m

Last edited by marcodarq; 08-14-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I would pull the fuse for the amp at the battery. Then run it through the gears and see what happens. Easy to do and will eliminate the amp as an issue.

Zach

Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by marcodarq
this might sound like a dumb question, but to me there really aren't any dumb questions, are you using the map supplied from Trask in your unit, did you you double check your amp wiring after you got it back from their install, maybe they changed something there. do you have some means of monitoring engine temp or cylinder head temp. maybe things heat up very quicky under that hard a run and something needs to be addressed. one other thing is i have seeen touring model bike have that same ign off, but no power off issue when there was an issue developing with the switch, sometimes had to smack it around about while in the off position to make it actually turn off, maybe there is a vibe harmonic playing up and causing something. what is your max boost level pressure hitting and do you have a guage to keep tabs on that also, any turbo vehicle should have one as overboost issues get expensive very quickly, maybe there is an issue with the boost control system or whatever they use for a recirculation or dump system?
just kinda trying to throw out some ideas, i hope you get it worked out. please report your findings, thanks
m
Still waiting on Trask to call me back. In the meantime, I reached out to Thundermax support. They advised me to update the firmware on the tuner as there was a known issue at WOT with the firmware that came with it. I upgraded it and changed a few values that Thundermax recommended. I have not had a chance to run it since due to rain.

I am using the map supplied from Trask.

The amp wiring has been installed and finished for over a year. A reputable installer installed it. (I have redlined my bike in every gear numerous times throughout a years time with buddies and it never shut down).

I am using the supplied Trask boost gauge. I have burped it per Trask's recommendation. The max boost pressure is 8.

Thanks for the input. I will let you all know of my findings.

I will test bike after the Thundermax firware update If that don't work, I'll get in touch with Trask to further troubleshoot.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I would pull the fuse for the amp at the battery. Then run it through the gears and see what happens. Easy to do and will eliminate the amp as an issue.

Zach
Will give this a shot if it continues to do it after the Thundermax firmware update.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:33 PM
glock221
Road Warrior

Update. I spoke with Thundermax after sending them a log file. They advised me to upgrade the firmware. They had a known issue. I updated the firmware and I have beat the **** out of it for about 3 weeks. Problem solved.