Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Hunting for power.. need to drop compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:48 AM
LJ Crozier
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hunting for power.. need to drop compression

my bike..
2013 chopped fxdwg
welded, plugged, windowed, knifeedged, timkened darkhorse crank and h beam rods..
right now i have hd 585 cams and 10.5:1 forged wisco pistons (that developed slap after about 10k miles)
ported & polished heads

i intend to shoot about 20 lbs of boost at this setup but im having a hard time finding low enough compression pistons. Im thinking of possibly using stroker plates to drop the compression to 8.5:1 - or maybe stroker cylinders.. trying to find a good source of info for thickness or length of new jugs..

I intend to run a stand alone ecu that references speed/rpm/clutch position to determine gear and adjust the tune for peak power in 3rd-6th gear. I want a left side mounted turbo to place an intercooler under the tank since i have a big hole there...

Im also going to need some advice on turbo sizing..

Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM
LJ Crozier
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing huh?

Hoping for someone to pitch in here

Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

https://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Compression-Ratio

not what you are wanting but a starting point, google is your friend. also, rarely does calculated give a real world picture.
and with the right equipment, you can even boost the 10:5 setup you now have. computers are nice, brother-in-law has a 2 door nova with a tricked out 350 and runs on the fly programming, controls everything from timing to fuel to temperature to detonation control. looks bone a$$ stock with original paint, he runs around with an old ball cap on just waiting for some fool in a new hot rod thinking he is just an old man in a straight six car. he even runs the original tire sizes with stock baby moons. a real trick to keep her straight, does have rear control and a quick ratio steering gear.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 AM
FRANK DRAGO
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing running 20 psi not a good thing for street bike. On average pump gas 8/10 psi safe.
tuner I would recommend Thunfermax with 2 bar map sensor it has boosted application built in tuning features.
also what size motor do you have?
And 585 S&s cams not the best choice for lots of boost.