Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Turbo sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Zackk44
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo sportster

So guys new to this forum I'm in the process of building a turbo sportster and felt I should share my experience through this journey. It's been about a year's worth of work on the weekends once and awhile as I have many other things I have to do and work on however I've only actually been working on it for maybe 7 months due to being in a major accident that broke my pelvis in 4 places and a few other problems but needless to say I tig welded the header in a wheelchair lol that's how impatient I can be. bike is a carb 1200 sporty 100% stock when I got it was in a small crash nothing was really hurt and yes the guy who tried to "fix" the bike sprayed the frame yellow..... And barely taped anything off lol I'll be stripping the bike once it's complete and cleaning up and painting everything. Mods are as listed
•Hsr42 carb (stock pilot, needle on bottom clip, 185 main jet, 2.3 needle and seat) I'm running 6psi base pressure
•K03-015 turbo (passat style k03)
•Custom exhaust header
•Custom intake plenum (pitot tube is mounted in plenum for carb bowl and fuel pressure regulator)
•Extended (8 1/2 inch) swingarm
•Lowered front by 2 1/2 inches
•Ultima ignition
•dyna 2 step box (hooked up to a custom clutch switch setup so when clutch is pulled in 2 step is active when clutch is released 2 step is deactivated) this will solve the issue of running separate anything as it'll function as my launch control and an ignition cut when I shift.As of right now I need to finish wiring and get a battery installed in the swing arm, relocate rear caliper, rear suspension and mounts on swing arm, rebuild brakes (front and rear), rear fender brackets and fender, install fuel return fitting in tank and install tank, shifter linkage and pegs as they will be pushed further back on the bike.
I know I'm missing a ton of stuff so let's get this ripping and I'll answer any questions I can and will take advise from other guys that have built turbo setups!

Last edited by Zackk44; 05-05-2021 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Grammar and spacing
The following 3 users liked this post by Zackk44:
FNGonaRK (08-23-2021), Gunny357 (05-15-2021), Rockhavok (08-23-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,460 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Man, you have incredible smarts and mechanical skills. Would enjoy seeing a before and after dyno test.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Zackk44
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tngarren
Man, you have incredible smarts and mechanical skills. Would enjoy seeing a before and after dyno test.
thanks man the bike has a long way to go once I finish everything I have to strip it down and clean and paint everything. I'm shooting for 120 horse at the wheel should be doable I know what the turbo is good for and I'll probably be running 100 octane not for power but more for safety on detention and stuff as the engine is completely stock

Old 05-06-2021, 11:45 PM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Beast mode engaged!

Nice.

The following users liked this post:
Zackk44 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 06:43 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 336 Likes on 207 Posts

Question; you are going to reinforce the swingarm, right? Maybe ladder bar style, because that looks like it will fold like a pretzel. Not from the rwhp but basic physics.

Looks like a fun build. Heal up and rock!

pic off web

Old 05-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Zackk44
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Trumpet
Question; you are going to reinforce the swingarm, right? Maybe ladder bar style, because that looks like it will fold like a pretzel. Not from the rwhp but basic physics.

Looks like a fun build. Heal up and rock!

pic off web
I'm glad you asked that question, my dad and I have been debating back and forth if it'll handle the abuse. We've decided to keep it without reinforcement. I did an open root full penetration Tig weld using what I think was very similar filler material to base material (I use to be an x-ray welder). I personally think it will bend like you stated not break so I'm willing to take the risk. I will however be taking it easy for the first couple runs down the drag strip and will be inspecting everything after each run. For a closer pic I just finished getting the mounts for the rear suspension last night

Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 336 Likes on 207 Posts

IMO, it will handle it until it doesn't. So the question still would be, how severely will it fail? Could be anything from ' what's that vibration' to 'why am I sliding down the road'. I run a sporty that delivers 90hp at the rear wheel, with more available by camming and exhaust. It will pull the front wheel up easily with my 260lb *** on it. A extra 30 horse would require serious though about launch control.

The extended swingarm helps with keeping the front planted (you already know that) but you are going to flex that assembly if left as shown.
Take a look at these photo's; broken stock swingarms and really think about it, quite a few of them are stock failures, some are due to leverage issues due to moving the bottom shock attachment point. The leverage photos should cause you some concern.

Whether you're building for street or strip, keep your hide in mind.

Looking forward to following your build.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:26 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Zackk44
I'm glad you asked that question, my dad and I have been debating back and forth if it'll handle the abuse. We've decided to keep it without reinforcement. I did an open root full penetration Tig weld using what I think was very similar filler material to base material (I use to be an x-ray welder). I personally think it will bend like you stated not break so I'm willing to take the risk. I will however be taking it easy for the first couple runs down the drag strip and will be inspecting everything after each run. For a closer pic I just finished getting the mounts for the rear suspension last night
`Glad you`re gonna use it as a drag bike, because you sure won`t be able to lean much for a corner with that pipe hanging out and low, along with other piping having low clearance as well.....

Old 05-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Zackk44
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
`Glad you`re gonna use it as a drag bike, because you sure won`t be able to lean much for a corner with that pipe hanging out and low, along with other piping having low clearance as well.....
Actually the pictures lie alittle there's a decent amount of lean angle to be had but once the pegs get mounted up there's no way I'll be able to lean it. And yeah it'll be pretty much drag use only with the occasional mexico run if a rice cooker calls me out and I can make alittle money lol

hvacgaspiping (05-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Any updates?

Zackk44 (08-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Turbo sportster