Blowers/Turbos/Nitrous Oxide For you Gear Heads. Here is the place to discuss your souped-up, sophisticated, out of control and money pit monsters.

Aerocharger Manual?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM
cmacclel
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aerocharger Manual?

I just picked up a 96 Fatboy with an Aerocharger Turbo. I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the installation manual.

Thanks Mac

Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you find a copy? I'm in the same boat so am keen to see if you had any luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
usturbine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What vintage setups do you have. If I can find my manual it is from 1996 with the Mikuni carb and top inlet plenum hsg. There were changes in 1998 that used the stock CV carb and a center inlet plenum. I have installed 8 of these systems and currently have 3 in service. 1 on my vrod and 2 I installed in 96 with over 100,000 combined miles.

I am out of town right now but will check when I get home. What questions do you have I may be able to help or you can contact Turbo Connection at boostisgood.com and talked to the owner Brian Olson who is a dealer and has his own Aerocharger system designed for several different brands of motorcycles. He is located in Rapid City, SD

Dennis

The following users liked this post:
Rockhavok (08-23-2021)
Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 AM
GraemeR
Road Master

Hi,
while I'm not sure about the exact vintage of the setup the chap I bought it off said that it was originally off a 1995 Harley FXD Superglide. The bits of interest I have seem to be:
- centre inlet phlegm
- CV Carb Spring and jets supplied
- It’s a head-breather kit as

In preparation for the install I bought a used Twin-Cam 88” CV Carb off Ebay and swapped out my old Mikuni HS40 with it – she seems to run nicely with no jet changes even though I’m a fairly stock 1986 80” (EV35 Cam & Supertrapp 2-2 + the usual upgrades to springs and pushrods)

Everything seems to go on okay although I did have to tweak the main turbo mounting bracket as the engine mount holes where out by about a 1/4”. The rest seems to be coming together nicely. I am relocating the fuel pump and regulator to hide behind the front air scoop and even though it means I have 3 fuel lines running down the side of the engine I like the look better as it means I can retain the stock FXR coil mounts.

The plumbing seems to fit nicely, with the only ‘tweak’ being the need to cut about ½” from the main air tube where it goes across the front of the bike so that the intake lines up straight are not under any stress. While I’m doing that I’ll add a small Turbosmart blow-off valve into the centre (it should blend in with the scoop in theory)

I have attached a picture of the turbo unit for reference if that helps.

Attached Thumbnails Aerocharger Manual?-100_1506.jpg   Aerocharger Manual?-100_1622.jpg  
Rockhavok (09-12-2021)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 AM
cmacclel
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is running a Mikuni carb. How can you tell if it's a top or center inlet plenum?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM
GraemeR
Road Master

Your a top mount....Its where the "Air In Charge" tube enters the round thingy. Mine has it in the middle of the side. I hate the small size of the Aerocharger phlemg thing so i modified my old stock air cleaner cover to fit over it as a 'cover'. I think it looks way better - more like a stock harley size. I just drilled and tapped a hole into the Aerocharger cover and use the stock aircleaner mounting bolt.

I have taken heaps of pics of the build so i wonder if we have room for a new 'build' thread? Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited by GraemeR; 04-29-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Rockhavok (09-12-2021)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
usturbine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GraemeR
Your a top mount....Its where the "Air In Charge" tube enters the round thingy. Mine has it in the middle of the side. I hate the small size of the Aerocharger phlemg thing so i modified my old stock air cleaner cover to fit over it as a 'cover'. I think it looks way better - more like a stock harley size. I just drilled and tapped a hole into the Aerocharger cover and use the stock aircleaner mounting bolt.

I have taken heaps of pics of the build so I wonder if we have room for a new 'build' thread? Thoughts?

Cheers
The top inlet was the first version using the Mikuni. We ran about 11-15 lbs of boost but had numerous head gasket problems. The center inlet plenum and Stock CV carb gave the same horsepower at around 8-9 lbs of boost and a lot less headaches.

GraemeR

Why are you running a blow off valve? The black controller has a diaphragm and spring and shims in it to control the Variable vanes. with the right spring and setup the boost pressure will close and open the vanes to control boost. I have mine set at 8 psi on low and by adding a switch with a bleed I can get 10-13 on high boost.

I have found 8 psi to be the most reliable and still give you around 90hp-90ft/lbs on a stock 80". I have tried several turbo cams but have found the stock Evo cam works as good as any of them for street riding.
When I get home and have time I need to refresh my memory on this setup. I haven't had any problems with the 3 I have and I just check the oil and clean the filter every season and ride them. If i can find the original install manual in my archives I can scan and email it to you guys.

Ride safe Dennis

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
GraemeR
Road Master

I have been running turbo cars for years and they have always had Wastegates to bleed off exhaust gases so as to maintain constant boost levels and Blowoff valves to release the backpressure wave in the intake manifold when the throttle is suddenly closed.

I know that i do not need a wastegate as the variable vanes in the Aerocharger are used to maintian boost at a certain level. What I was wondering though was do i need a Blowoff valve as well or am I just over-engineering the entire thing - something that I can be inclined to do from time to time. If no-one else is running one then I'll just give it a miss as it will make the engineering simplier.

From a boost perspective I'm happy enough running 5-8 PSI for now. I still have a stock clutch and am worried that if I take boost too high I'll start having issues with slippage or even head gasket problems or the like.
One thing I will install though is a Wideband O2 Sensor system from Zentronix so that i can at least validate the fuel mix across the power range.

With any luck I'll get everything dry fitted this week except for the Exhaust system and wiring . I'll keep folks posted.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
usturbine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GraemeR
I have been running turbo cars for years and they have always had Wastegates to bleed off exhaust gases so as to maintain constant boost levels and Blowoff valves to release the backpressure wave in the intake manifold when the throttle is suddenly closed.

I know that i do not need a wastegate as the variable vanes in the Aerocharger are used to maintian boost at a certain level. What I was wondering though was do i need a Blowoff valve as well or am I just over-engineering the entire thing - something that I can be inclined to do from time to time. If no-one else is running one then I'll just give it a miss as it will make the engineering simplier.

From a boost perspective I'm happy enough running 5-8 PSI for now. I still have a stock clutch and am worried that if I take boost too high I'll start having issues with slippage or even head gasket problems or the like.
One thing I will install though is a Wideband O2 Sensor system from Zentronix so that i can at least validate the fuel mix across the power range.

With any luck I'll get everything dry fitted this week except for the Exhaust system and wiring . I'll keep folks posted.
GraemeR

The vanes are opened and closed via the controller. Depending on what has been done inside of it you should have a spring set for around 8 psi with the center inlet plenum and CV carb. One of the things that gave the Aerocharger a bad rap was guys trying to run 20 plus lbs of boost especially in the cars. The vane design and how they were attached to the vane pins was a bit fragile in the early days. The latest design is more robust and has taken care of those problems. There is an adjustment procedure for the controller and the vane orientation. It is fairly simple as I recall. You have to make sure the vane actuator is centered in the v-band and there is no binding. he controller has to be centered with vane shaft and no binding and there is a small tab that fits in the controller there should be a few thousands clearance between that and the plunger in the controller.

Other than that the turbo is pretty simple and will last a long time if it hasn't been abused and the boost settings are at or below 8 psi. The new controllers have fixed springs and the boost is not adjustable as easy as the controller you have.

I pull a dresser and a 2 seat side car and a trailer with the one on my Ultra. I just installed the Barnett extra clutch plate setup and it has been in there since 1996 without issues. i have the slipper clutch in my v rod with Aerocharger.

Dennis

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM
GraemeR
Road Master

Thanks for that. I'm still working on things, although its heading to winter down under so the cold shed is not that inviting in the evenings.

Ths week I managed to mount the fuel pump and regulator on a custom plate that fits in the front air scoop (so its totally removed from the left side of the bike per standard installs) and dry fitted the fuel lines - still needs a fair bit of work as to supporting the fuel lines so i sense another custom bracket in the making.

I also narrowed the turbo=>Manifold charge tube by about 3/4" so that when its all fitted up there is no stress on any of the fittings (I guess that a stock Dyna is wider than the old Evo FXR for some reason).

Today I'm going to remove the turbo to check out the spring in it and wrap the exhaust headers in tape as the fuel lines will run underneath the pipes so i do not want to take any risks.

How are you tracking with the manual...I could do with some pics of how to open the turbo up to inspect the spring.

Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aerocharger Manual?