Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

bypass Mtrl and QC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts
Default bypass Mtrl and QC

I've posted this in the rides section, but i though I may get more responses in the Cdn section.......

A group of us will be riding from SW Ontario to PEI and want to travel the North Shore of the St. Lawrence, but want to avoid Montreal and Quebec City traffic.

We intend to enter Quebec either at the Pembroke or Renfrew crossings and onto Baie Comeau taking the ferry to Matane, shoot around the Gaspe and down to PEI returning along the south shore of the St. Lawrence.

Being the lead rider, with one inexperienced rider along I don't feel comfortable taking them through Montreal and Quebec City traffic.

Looking at Googlemaps I've planned a bypass route above Montreal, but I really don't see options for avoiding Quebec City.

Any suggestioned roads to avoid either city?

thanks
brian

Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Bobino
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Going towards Matane on the north shore : highway 50, 15, 640, 40 and 138. Around Quebec, not much choice, you will be on the 40 and it is OK. Coming back towards Ontario on the southshore side: from highway 20, take the 30 to by-pass MTL, that is a wise choice to avoid all the major road works and bozos. If you got time, all secondary parallel roads are good and nice roads.

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

As I have stated in earlier posts, I have done the trip to the east coast of Canada three times. All three times we have avoided the province of Quebec. I have crossed at Fort Erie, Cornwall and Gananoque into upper state New York, through Vermont and New Hampshire, and then onto Maine crossing back into Canada at St. Stephen New Brunswick. The riding and scenery is excellent on this route and you avoid the chaos of Quebec. Just a suggestion as an alternate. Ride safe whatever you decide!
Cheers, Terry

Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scorpio09SG
As I have stated in earlier posts, I have done the trip to the east coast of Canada three times. All three times we have avoided the province of Quebec. I have crossed at Fort Erie, Cornwall and Gananoque into upper state New York, through Vermont and New Hampshire, and then onto Maine crossing back into Canada at St. Stephen New Brunswick. The riding and scenery is excellent on this route and you avoid the chaos of Quebec. Just a suggestion as an alternate. Ride safe whatever you decide!
Cheers, Terry

Been through those States many times going to the East Coast but have never travelled the North Shore of the St Lawrence.

thanks for your suggestion
brian

Old 03-15-2017, 04:43 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bobino
Going towards Matane on the north shore : highway 50, 15, 640, 40 and 138. Around Quebec, not much choice, you will be on the 40 and it is OK. Coming back towards Ontario on the southshore side: from highway 20, take the 30 to by-pass MTL, that is a wise choice to avoid all the major road works and bozos. If you got time, all secondary parallel roads are good and nice roads.
thank you. You also answered the question I forgot to ask....how are the secondary roads.
brian