Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Common Ground on Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Common Ground on Discovery

Anyone else catch this show? Some nice shots of some great scenery that we already live in or have seen,but just not too sure about what the real message the producers were trying to get across...

Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Hey tfi I will be watching this thread closely as I am very interested in what people have to say.
I have not watched any of the show yet, but I share your thoughts about what actually this was trying to prove.
My first opinion when I saw it advertised was, what about all the good canadian harley riders that have journeyed countless miles? Who are these so called Harley Davidson Canada people and what are their experiences?
We will see what the thoughts that come forward are.
Cheers, Terry

Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched the 1st episode of "Common Ground", last night, and here are my thoughts...

First of all, the show appears to combine the following elements:
(1) Harley advertisement - The show is obviously sponsored by Harley-Davidson. All of the riding gear was Harley-branded. For the most part, the bikes were new and in stock configuration. The show also commemorates the 100th year of Harley's official presence in Canada.
(2) Canadian travelogue - The episode had three simultaneous story-lines, which took place in the Rockies, in Quebec, and in Nova Scotia.
(3) Foreign content - Riders from three other countries (New Zealand, Mexico, and India) came to Canada, and were paired with a local rider to experience riding in Canada.

The show looks to be pretty high-budget and very well produced. The camera work was great. As for entertainment value though, I found it kind of so-so. It wasn't bad, but wasn't that exciting either. I'd rate it as a 3/5. I didn't mind the official Harley content. (That new Road Kind Special looked *really* sweet in the action footage!) Adding foreign riders to the mix seemed to be an attempt at adding a social element. The apparent theme was that we may all be from different places and backgrounds, but we have a common ground (get it?) in riding motorcycles. I don't disagree with that notion, but it comes across a little bit contrived and hokey. Actually it was somewhat interesting to listen to the visitor's impressions on Canada.

My favorite aspect was travelogue content, where they showed the sights and roads in the different areas of Canada. Personally, I live a half-hour from the American border, and I do nearly all of my touring in the USA. Watching this show, I started getting ideas of maybe planning a trip to an area of Canada that I've never visited (Nova Scotia looks incredible). Hmm... seems that I may have been slightly influenced by watching this show after all. (Ha!) Yeah, I'll probably keep watching the show.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 AM
NTA
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

looks awesome !