Canada BC | Alberta | Saskatchewan | Manitoba Ontario | Quebec | Maritime Provinces

Cape Breton-Cabot Trail

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Default Cape Breton-Cabot Trail

Coming up for a vacation with wife this summer. Going to ride the island for 3 0r 4 days. Any recommendations for places to stay with restaurants/bars not too far away?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:12 AM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Have rode the Cabot Trail twice in recent years. The first time we stayed in North Sydney. Very nice town right where the ferry to Newfoundland loads. Good restaurants and lodging but about a 25 minute ride to the trail.
The second time we stayed in Baddeck. A quaint little town and very close to the entrance to the trail.
Both places are good to stay. Make sure you check out the road conditions on the trail as I understand they are finishing up in 2018 the rest of the major road repairs.
Enjoy your trip. It will be well worth it!

Cheers, Terry

Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM
rochman
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Coming up for a vacation with wife this summer. Going to ride the island for 3 0r 4 days. Any recommendations for places to stay with restaurants/bars not too far away?
Bell Bay in Beddeck is a nice spot , little village with all you need .

Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Baddeck is a very nice village with attractions like Alexander Graham Bell museum and a quick hop to the trail. On the trail Cheticamp is lovely with restaurants, beaches,etc. and that part of the trail is beautiful. In Sydney I would stay on the Esplanade downtown along the river which has a nice boardwalk and hotels.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 PM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
Baddeck is a very nice village with attractions like Alexander Graham Bell museum and a quick hop to the trail. On the trail Cheticamp is lovely with restaurants, beaches,etc. and that part of the trail is beautiful. In Sydney I would stay on the Esplanade downtown along the river which has a nice boardwalk and hotels.

I would second the recommendation about staying downtown along the river in Sydney. I've been there recently and there are lots of amenities in the area for anything you want. I stayed at Cambridge Suites Hotel. I would feel comfortable leaving a bike in the parking lot overnight.

In Baddeck, I've stayed at the Silver Dart Lodge. Really nice spot that I didn't want to leave. If you stay there, get a private cabin with a view of the water instead of a hotel room. It was the highlight of our trip on the Trail.

Best of luck on your trip. If you time it for end of summer, there is a Wharf Rat Rally in Digby, NS that is fun as well.

The following users liked this post:
Stovey85 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:33 AM
Stovey85
Novice
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to revive an old thread. Wife and I are heading East July 27, 2024. Staying at the Loyalist Country Inn and Conference Centre for 3 days. Then riding to the Silver Dart Lodge in Baddeck for 2 nights. We plan to do the Cabot Trail. Then riding to Halifax and staying at the Cambridge Suites for another 3 nights. I read that another member stayed at the Silver Dart lodge and loved it. Does anyone have any input on the other two places that we are staying at? Also are there any things that are a must do while are there? Much appreciated!

Old 04-10-2024, 12:33 PM
Fast66
Tourer
Received 274 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't have any experience with above mentioned stays.
Lower Deck in Halifax (waterfront area) if you like cold beer on a patio with live music.
I know this is the opposite direction but it's worth the ride to Peggy's Cove and then on to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. That would eat up most of a day out and back from Halifax.
Cheticamp is a nice stop on the Cabot Trail, lots to see. I had good lobster rolls north of there at the Rusty Anchor, Pleasant Bay. Great view even if you're just stopping for a coffee.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:32 AM
Stovey85
Novice
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast66
I don't have any experience with above mentioned stays.
Lower Deck in Halifax (waterfront area) if you like cold beer on a patio with live music.
I know this is the opposite direction but it's worth the ride to Peggy's Cove and then on to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. That would eat up most of a day out and back from Halifax.
Cheticamp is a nice stop on the Cabot Trail, lots to see. I had good lobster rolls north of there at the Rusty Anchor, Pleasant Bay. Great view even if you're just stopping for a coffee.
We will definitely tour to the places you mentioned. I also heard that the upper deck and the lower deck are two places that shouldn't be missed. Thank You!

The following users liked this post:
Fast66 (04-11-2024)