Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

2000 Sportster 1200C Carburetor 27480-97A

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 PM
greengoomba
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Sportster 1200C Carburetor 27480-97A

Howdy all! I am in the process of rebuilding my carburetor, but have run into a snag. While knocking the pin for the float back in, I slipped and broke one of the cast-aluminum posts clean off. Very bummed about it.

But now I have rallied the troops, and after researching online, I have found several used and new CV carbs with slightly different part numbers. My main question is do I have to replace the carb with the exact same model number? Do the numbers just reflect which jets came stock/the year it was made? Can I find any ole' 40 MM CV carb and put the proper jets in it and be ready to go? What do the part numbers even mean?

I've already purchased a rebuild kit from CVPerformance and hope to put it to use without having to buy a brand new carb. Thanks for your replies in advance!

Chris

Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

JB weld has fixed a few of these

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM
greengoomba
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply heybaylor! I didn't realize that JB weld was insoluble in gasoline, but according to their website, it is: http://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs. I've also found posts on a variety of other forums where people have both successfully and unsuccessfully used JB weld to repair carbs. I may try this out before I buy another.

But my original question still remains, how important is the part number on the carb/what does it mean?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

successful repairs are done by people whom properly clean the parts affected.
Also if used around fuel , allow the mixture to dry a couple of days before re-assembly.

Dunno all about all the model numbers, but I replaced a old CV with a later model, just had to swap the throttle cable assembly ( new one had a feature for cruise control that I didn't need)
works just fine

Old 05-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by greengoomba
Howdy all! I am in the process of rebuilding my carburetor, but have run into a snag. While knocking the pin for the float back in, I slipped and broke one of the cast-aluminum posts clean off. Very bummed about it.

But now I have rallied the troops, and after researching online, I have found several used and new CV carbs with slightly different part numbers. My main question is do I have to replace the carb with the exact same model number? Do the numbers just reflect which jets came stock/the year it was made? Can I find any ole' 40 MM CV carb and put the proper jets in it and be ready to go? What do the part numbers even mean?

I've already purchased a rebuild kit from CVPerformance and hope to put it to use without having to buy a brand new carb. Thanks for your replies in advance!

Chris
The different part numbers are for the different jets and needles installed. The actual bodies of the carbs of any later model 40mm CV carb is the same. You can simply replace the jets and needle with yours if you need to buy another one. I would stay away from the chinese knock offs.
Personally, I would just replace the body of the carb unless you were 100% certain your epoxy job wasn't going to leave you stranded.