Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

nasty carb overflow, still!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default nasty carb overflow, still!

hey folks,

after a serious injury, i got my bike up and running and got her out today for the first time in two years....1991 FXSTS.... and of course, the same haunting problem plagues me

the overflow in the carb pukes fuel after shut off...

few things:

-carb was professionally rebuilt by Dale at Killer carbs....did an outstanding job....plus, before getting it going this year, I tore it down and cleaned everything, blew everything out, made sure everything was good

-new pingel fuel petcock

-new fuel caps (vented right, non-vented left)

-inline fuel filter, as Dale suggested

so i covered everything, but still, after riding her for a bit, then shutting down, carb pukes fuel out drain hose and makes an absolute mess.... i'm at a total loss... because i can go out garage in morning, turn on fuel valve, and nothing will happen.... so float, needle valve, seat is all working fine...nothing is hanging up

what also happens is that if I'm riding for a long period of time, it starts to overflow while I'm riding....and then it wants to flood....carb will spit and pop, and i have to turn off valve while riding to stop the flow of fuel

the only thing i can think of is that my exhaust (RSD Tracker) is sitting way too close to float bowl, and it's heating it up, causing fuel to really expand

i don't know, any help or suggestions about what could be going wrong would really be appreciated!

JS

Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM
DEW2112
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace needle and seat, problem solved!!! and make sure float height is correct.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:09 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DEW2112
Replace needle and seat, problem solved!!! and make sure float height is correct.
I've replaced the needle, and cleaned the seat which appears to be perfectly fine since needle i know is not getting stuck and there are no visible signs of wear.... and have adjusted float height several times on point, and then on positive and negative sides ....nothing

Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

okay....i stand corrected....i went out this morning and turned on fuel valve....within minutes fuel was pouring out of overflow

something is up, and i suspect needle seat .... but can you get those for the CV carb?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
okay....i stand corrected....i went out this morning and turned on fuel valve....within minutes fuel was pouring out of overflow

something is up, and i suspect needle seat .... but can you get those for the CV carb?

The needle seat is not replaceable.
I had the same issue with my 91 sportster.
Never knew when it would take a dump.
always turned off the gas when parked.

Found a later model CV off a big twin, this one has a different shaped fuel bowl .
ALSO has no overflow fitting.

Has not had a problem for the past ten years..(paid $100.00 for the used later model CV

Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

yeah, that's what i've been reading, heybaylor

the seat is indeed worn... the 4-ribbed valve wobbles around inside it, and so I'm guessing the walls are just worn from vibration over so many years... i was playing around with the float and the valve was getting jammed up on occasion ...adding to that was the float pin was terribly loose, so when the float rises under vibration it's jogging the valve around

time for a new carburetor