Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Rebuilt, rejetted, '06 FLHR. Uneven idle when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Disco Don Anderson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt, rejetted, '06 FLHR. Uneven idle when hot?

Okay, so here's the scoop...

'06 FLHR came from dealer with Stage 1 kit and was "Dynojetted". The bike always popped on decel and at idle if I tapped the throttle.

Now the bike over the the last year or so wasn't keeping a steady idle. I took off the carb, cleaned all the carbon out, bought new dynojet and rebuild kits.

The dealer had a .45 slow and 180 main. After much research I bought a .48 slow jet.

Now, the scoot has a .48 slow jet, 180 main jet, new seals, gasket, needle jet, tuning, and idle. The bike runs better than ever!

Until... It warms up. At this point it wont keep a steady idle, spits, coughs, and stalls. If I get the RPMs up before it quits, it runs great and all is well. Then the idle cuts down and runs bad.

The only thing I can think is if I have a vacuum leak, will that make it do this? What else should I be looking for?

Please advise!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Disco Don Anderson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Update

Okay. Went to Performance HD in Syracuse today, stopped into service, asked the cat there and of course got the line, "Hmm, could be any number of things... Bring it in and we'd be more that happy to look at it."

I'm not too bashful to work on my own machines, nor am I too bashful, or insecure to ask for advice... I know what I'm doing... If something stumps me, I'll ask.

So, I asked the gentleman in Parts. That is where I will go from now on for advice. They want to sell me parts, the correct parts, so I will always buy parts there. He suggested changing the idle diaphragm. I bought it, changed it, whatdayaknow! My bike now idles. Even when warmed up. A $16 part...

Thank you for letting me vent.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:25 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Usually, when an engine won't hold an idle, look for an air leak upstream of the carb bore.