Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Mikuni HSR42 install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Mikuni HSR42 install?

I have a 2005 FLSTSC with a stage 1 TC88.

I have a Mikuni HSR 42 that was installed in Laconia by a vendor called Racepro motorsports.

After riding a little bit I noticed some binding in the throttle so I looked at the install book and it states to remove the throttle cables from the stock cable tie and re-route them under the frame. The vendor failed to do this! The cables are still in the cable tie and you can see the cables are at an odd angle to enter the brackets at the carb.

So now my question is: Do I take the cables all the way out from under the tank to reroute them under the frame? This seems to be the case but I am still unsure. I pulled the cable out of the stock cable tie and if I leave them under the tank it seems to me that they will still bind.

To those who have done the install: How did you do it? What is the best way to re-route the cable?

Also if you take the cables out from under the tank and route them below the frame there is a fuel tank hose right there.

I checked Google and YouTube. I did not find anything on this.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Here is what I did.

Well since I did not get any replies on this which is odd to me but then again I don't think many people are running carbs right now. The reason I say that is because while at Laconia it seemed to me that most people were riding newer EFI bikes. Not many older carbureted bikes that I could tell.

Anyway here is what I did incase someone else has a similar question:

First I disconnected the Battery and removed the rear fuel tank bolt. I raised the rear of the tank about one inch and a half.

I disconnected both throttle cables from the carb and then pulled them both out of the plastic clip that is along the frame. I then fed both cables one at a time between the frame and the tank. Not much room but it will fit with space to spare.

Then I grabbed the end where it connects to the carb and held it while moving the front of the cable at the handlebars until the cable formed the right angle under the frame and the proper bend without kinks.

Much, much better! No kinks and the cables feel smoother with no binding at all. Also the adjustment was easier without any throttle sticking and it took less adjustment. The installer at Laconia had an issue getting it adjusted and then they tried to say it was sticking before. BS! I never had any sticking and the adjustment was spot on before they touched my bike! The installer never turned the handlebars to the right to make the closing cable adjustment which it clearly states in the Mikuni install manual.

Funny how they F@#K up and try to blame you or your bike!

Anyway, it goes to show you the old adage that if you want something done right then do it yourself. Maybe it was just a bad day for them. I don't know.

Much more happier now!

Makes me think that when the time comes to do cams and other upgrades that I am just going to do it myself and do the job right.

That way if I screw up I just have to blame myself.

The following users liked this post:
FezDeluxe (12-13-2022)