Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Help: Cleaned carb now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I would recommend starting back at step one. Get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carb top to bottom and make sure everything is together right, set your mixture at 2 turns out and make sure the fuel petcock is turned on and then to crank it. It will take a few cycles for the fuel to fill the bowl and the engine to fire.

If it does not fire, take off the air filter and see if fuel is squirting down the carb throat when the throttle is twisted...if it is, the cylinders are getting gas and the engine should at least fire and try to start. Even if you have the spark plug wires reversed or the needle jet in upside down, the cylinders will fire...it won't run but it will fire. If it doesn't spray fuel down the carb after you have rebuilt the carb, then either you boogered up the fuel pump diaphragm when you replaced it or there is no fuel in the bowl.

If it is squirting fuel down the carb but not firing at all, pull the plugs. They will be wet which indicates no ignition spark.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Start with the abc's. Is it getting fuel? If yes, then is it getting spark?

I'm guessing it is something simple. One of the more common mishaps is losing the needle jet. See this link:

http://cv-performance.com/harley-cv-...-tuning-issues

Also take a look at this page, lots of good info and videos on your carb. There are also rebuild videos on youtube.

http://cv-performance.com/instructions-guides

I bet if you look at a few diagrams and videos, you will figure out what happened or went wrong. Your getting your feet wet and chock it up to experience. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 01-10-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:32 AM
AnNa_BaNaNa
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so didn't get much time to work on it today but did manage to check my spark plugs. They both have a blue spark 😊. So my next step was to check all the lines. I noticed where the vaccum fuel line is behind the carb, it has a Y connection. One line goes to a switch, which i believe is the V.O.E.S. switch. The other part of the Y connection has no line to it. As if something is missing there. I saw a small fuel line that is connected on the other side to the fuel shut off valve. Its short, and is connected to the left side of the fuel shut off valve. Its the smaller of two. Its actually pretty dry rotted and is split on the opposite end. So before i check if fuel is going through the carburetor, i wanted to make sure all lines were connected. My question is, Is this short line coming from the shut off valve supposed to be connected to the second nipple on the Y connector? When i pulled the carburetor off, i did not unplug anything(wanted to make sure everything stayed the same), but seeing as how it is short and split on the end. I see how it could of easily slipped off. I can take pictures tomorrow morning. Just didn't want to plug something in where it didn't belong. Thank you so much for your patience and all your advice so far.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Ok, you got spark so if you get fuel into the cylinders, they will fire. You are not getting fuel into the carb from the tank, probably because of no vacuum to the petcock. Replace all of the vacuum lines with new lines before doing anything else. I do not know where the vacuum line T's off to, I do not have a T on my 01 SG, but if you look, you should see where it goes. Even so, you could probably block that just to see if you have a good vacuum to the petcock and the fuel will fill the bowl. Fuel in the carb and the engine will fire.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....b=9&c=0&d=2002 XL883 SPORTSTER® 883 STANDARD (CA) CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY

I think you maybe talking about #9. One end would goto the carb. Then one side of the 'Y' would goto the VOES, and the other side goes to the petcock.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....b=9&c=0&d=2002 XL883 SPORTSTER® 883 STANDARD (CA) CARBURETOR ASSEMBLY

Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 PM
AnNa_BaNaNa
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after replacing what ended up being my vacuum tube I git my bike running again!😃😃😃 Thank you all for your advice and patience. It sounds a heck of a whole lot better than before, and best of all...no pinging! I guess out of everything it could of been, I'm glad that's all it was. Rookie mistake. But now i know what to look for thanks to you. Thank you again for your time!