Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Help with a shovelhead fuel delivery problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 PM
RicManSr
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with a shovelhead fuel delivery problem.

I need some help from the shovelhead gods here.

Little about the bike:
1977 FXE
S&S shorty super carb
Intermediate jet: 27
Main jet: 70
Stock engine 74ci
The tank is clean, the inner tank filter is clean, the in-line filter is clean. There is no trash or obstructions from the tank to the carb.

The problem:
The bike will run fine till it gets to half tank. Then the fuel filter will run dry and the bike will cut out then die. If I blow in the tank, it will refill the filter, and run until the filter drains empty again. It will continue to do that until I fill the tank back full again. Then it runs fine until there is only a half a tank in it again. I've pulled the tank and filter twice, and there's nothing in it. The venting valve in the gas cap is working like it should. The tank is building pressure through out the run. I'm stumped. I'm open to all suggestions please.

Thanks in advance from my son and I.
Ricky

Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

The tank is building pressure through out the run .... Pressure? When you release/open the gas cap you hear pressure or are you hearing vacuum? ( the tank sucking ) I'd say you have a vent problem. Do you have "dual tanks"? A single gas cap would lead me to believe that your cap ( contrary to your assertion isn't venting.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:28 PM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

any chance you have your fuel house routed between the cylinders and it gets the hose to hot and it Vapor Locks ? S&S supplied an actual accordian type cover to go over the fuel hose on their Super E's because of that problem. Just an idea.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 72fl
any chance you have your fuel house routed between the cylinders and it gets the hose to hot and it Vapor Locks ? S&S supplied an actual accordian type cover to go over the fuel hose on their Super E's because of that problem. Just an idea.
Yep that's a possibility also

Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM
RicManSr
Novice

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The tank building pressure through out the run .... Pressure? When you release/open the gas cap you hear pressure or are you hearing vacuum? ( the tank sucking ) I'd say you have a vent problem. Do you have "dual tanks"? A single gas cap would lead me to believe that your cap ( contrary to your assertion isn't venting.
I can suck air through the vent in the gas cap (from the back side) but can not blow air through it. The tank is defiantly building pressure. When I remove the gas cap off, you can feel and hear the air blow pass the seal. I've taken the petcock off and it is clear of any obstruction too.

Yes, the fuel line IS routed through the cylinders, and no, there's no additional protection on the lines. Could that be all there is to it? What do I need to fix it? And where can I find it?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

Is it the stock tank? Any internal or external tank venting that is blocked off or obstructed? Replace the cap to be sure, or run it loose and see if that fixes the problem. I'm thinking flakey vent mechanism in the cap. YD

Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Vented gas cap,(right side) not working correctly.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
RicManSr
Novice

"UPDATE:"

Seems that removing the inline glass filter and wrapping the line with a heat shield worked! Thanks everyone for the help!