Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Why Carburetors Will Be Around Forever - Joe Minton

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why Carburetors Will Be Around Forever - Joe Minton

Always interested in carb repairs and adjustments (I know, I must be a glutton for punishment!), I did some research on Joe Minton's suggested tune for the HSR. I found a great PDF here.

This may be a repost, but I thought I'd share it as I didn't see it after a search on this page.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

Good find.
Miks aren't are easy to fine tune as CVs. Acc pump sometimes hard to read..
Joe's right on the needle. Unless there's lotsa work done on the motor, the leaner needle works better than the one that comes stock with the 42.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced

Thanks. Found this gem after doing some research on the carb I'll need to at least clean out...but might as well rebuild at that point. It's on my '93 FLHTP. I haven't had too many problems with either Hitachi or Mikuni carbs.

A great quote I saw on someone's signature line on the Honda Twin's page is: "80% of all carburetor problems are electrical."

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (06-13-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM
TXWarthog
Advanced

I pulled the carb off my '93 FLHTP last night. Got it cleaned up and back together before going to bed. Only issue I ran into was the float pin was stuck in the float towers. Being that it wasn't leaking, I left it. I didn't want to bust a float tower. The problem with my carb was the idle mixture screw was missing the o-ring under the washer. It had a washer, but no o-ring! I upgraded to the mixture screw that has the knurled ****. I also used my dremel to make four marks on the **** top and side so that I can count the 1/4 turns. I'll reinstall it after I replace the external screws (I replaced them all, but some are too long) and replace the intake to head seals. After that, I'll reinstall it and do some driveway tests with my fuel IV.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

For the float pin check the direction that you are trying to remove it from, go against the arrow. Maybe the float pin was put in backwards the previous time it was removed thus causing it to seize up.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:37 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced

I saw the arrow and I thought the same thing. Stupid thing was/is stuck. I don't remember the last time I saw one that stuck. I agree, I think someone put it in backwards. Trying to get it out may require enough force that it would break the aluminum float towers...and ruin the carb body (If it were to break, I could alum-weld it back, but I don't know how well/long it would work bathing in fuel).

I even tried tapping it with a hammer and a small punch, with a 2x4 under it, aligning the pin with a drilled hole in the wood. I figure using the wood for support would potentially prevent a break. Even with a hammer and a punch, lightly tapping, it did not budge.