Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

2002 Heritage Carburetor Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:30 PM
LoneRanger65
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,, First off, Awesome post on your conversation. Yours is very informative and thorough. I'm going to take you up on your offer for some help. I'm a rookie and not too confident with my electrical. I've been looking at countless how to videos and got a little overwhelmed with the crazy amount of different procedures to convert to carb but I'm getting there. I have a 2000 RK. I got a S&S super E carb kit, pingel adapter and petcock and thunderheart stand alone ingition system. I took out the fuel pump and left the sender. I installed the new coil and stand alone module. Now the tricky part. I cut out the entire efi wiring and left the MM module. I understand I can connect the red/black crank censor wires directly to the Thunderheart system. Can you clarify the map sensor wire? Is it the #14 Red/white? Also in regards to the white w/black stripe wire for the ignition. Is that the #26 on the MM module? Do I just connect that wire directly to the thunderheart wire? One more thing, Do I need the fuel pump relay since I disconnected the fuel pump? Originally I thought I could remove it but I see a wire from that relay goes to the data link plug which I'm guessing I should leave alone. Originally I thought I could rip out the entire efi harness and emi but discovered I need the module for the speedo. I'm close to finishing up but wanted to clear some of my doubts regarding my above mentioned questions.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou

Old 03-11-2021, 01:18 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneRanger65
Hello,, First off, Awesome post on your conversation. Yours is very informative and thorough. I'm going to take you up on your offer for some help. I'm a rookie and not too confident with my electrical. I've been looking at countless how to videos and got a little overwhelmed with the crazy amount of different procedures to convert to carb but I'm getting there. I have a 2000 RK. I got a S&S super E carb kit, pingel adapter and petcock and thunderheart stand alone ingition system. I took out the fuel pump and left the sender. I installed the new coil and stand alone module. Now the tricky part. I cut out the entire efi wiring and left the MM module. I understand I can connect the red/black crank censor wires directly to the Thunderheart system. Can you clarify the map sensor wire? Is it the #14 Red/white? Also in regards to the white w/black stripe wire for the ignition. Is that the #26 on the MM module? Do I just connect that wire directly to the thunderheart wire? One more thing, Do I need the fuel pump relay since I disconnected the fuel pump? Originally I thought I could remove it but I see a wire from that relay goes to the data link plug which I'm guessing I should leave alone. Originally I thought I could rip out the entire efi harness and emi but discovered I need the module for the speedo. I'm close to finishing up but wanted to clear some of my doubts regarding my above mentioned questions.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou

Thanks!

The only sensor you'll need for the TH ignition is the crank sensor. Those will be the twisted red & black wires in your harness. Every other FI sensor can go. Like in my post, I clipped all other sensor wires, terminated them with shrink tubing and tied them off in the harness, out of the way. You don't need the MAP sensor at all.

I didn't show it in my photos, but when I took out the float assembly, I removed the fuel pump completely and cut the part of the plastic frame that mounts the pump so it's easier to re-install back in the tank. You can remove the fuel pump relay if you want. I left mine in, but should probably remove it so the wire isn't energized.

With regards to the ignition switch wire, I think it may be the same on a Softail chassis, but not sure. Check it with a test light or voltmeter. See if you get voltage when you toggle the kill switch. Better yet, find a wire diagram for your bike. Should be in your repair manual.

With all of the sensors except for the crank position disconnected, expect your check engine light to be on all the time. Just ignore it. In the future I want to strip my bike down for paint and remove the ECM and harness, but for now it runs great!

Also make sure you have a good ground for the TH ignition module. As you can see in photo, I grounded it to the battery negative cable/frame bolt.

Good luck man, let us know how it turns out!