Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Bottom of carb not going back on

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 AM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting a bit of oil on the o-ring, as well as giving the bowl a nice tap allowed me to get the piece back on. Thanks everyone!

Before I tried putting it on I put a little bit of gas in the bowl and pumped the accelerator pump to make sure that fuel would come out of the nozzle, which it did, but it also came out of the hole in the bottom of the bowl. It would shoot straight up and come out of this hole more than the accelerator nozzle. I had to really push the pump down hard to get it to come out of the nozzle.

The blue circled area in the image below is the hole I am referring to. Is fuel supposed to come out of this hole as well or could it be because I only had a small amount of gas in the bowl that resulted in what I am referring to?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

it's the intake for the acc pump, you are missing the check ball and spring in the acc pump housing itself.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Pfarley1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The check ball and spring? I do not remember seeing those when I took it apart, though that was a long time ago. I don't have those parts even laying around. There was a spring I installed when I put the diaphragm in?

When the guy in this video tests to see if it works...mine does the same thing. You can see that his hole in the bottom shoots directly up, so much that he has to cover it with plastic, so is it normal than?

Old 07-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 926 Posts

It's just an inlet for fuel for the accelerator pump.

It sounds like the passage for the accelerator pump or the nozzle is partially clogged. Try and back flow some carb cleaner in there.

While I never took mine apart, I have read some guys talking about a little check valve in the passage and that might be sticking on yours.

Just guessing though, but it sure sounds like some type of restriction if it is not shooting Or close to) like in that video. YD

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfarley1
The check ball and spring? I do not remember seeing those when I took it apart, though that was a long time ago. I don't have those parts even laying around. There was a spring I installed when I put the diaphragm in?

When the guy in this video tests to see if it works...mine does the same thing. You can see that his hole in the bottom shoots directly up, so much that he has to cover it with plastic, so is it normal than?

They all shoot back up in the bowl. I questioned that before too. You can shake your bowl and hear if there's a check ball. I have one it's apparently for something else not sure what. When it's back together is the best time to check the spray. You'll know if it's not working just check before reinstalling.