Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Carb Rebuild Advice

2003 lowrider, carb has never been rebuilt as far as I know. When I got the bike, owner said he was running it with the enrichner out just a bit. I found keeping it out enough to hold the idle 1000-1200 seemed to do the trick once she was warmed up some. Still getting some coughs through the carb when cold, but not too bad. Plugs need to be changed, they are black. Should I just adjust the idle (I think it needs to be higher) and air mixture or go ahead and do a full clean and rebuild on the carb to start from square one? Gasket kits are cheap enough. What is a good brand if I should go that route?

Old 11-01-2017, 07:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Your bike is 14 years old and for the time and cost involved it would certainly be worth stripping and rebuilding it. Get the full kit including slide and diaphragm. It's a long time since I last did mine, so can't help with brand, but the usual suspects like J&P and others probably have them.

The running problems may be down to dirt inside the float chamber, or mucky jets, possibly the diaphragm, so new parts will take away those doubts.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this site out for some good info, parts, etc. They seem to have a lot of answers for us guys with carbs.

cv-performance.com

Good luck on getting things sorted.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:03 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

HD CV carbs are VERY straightforward.
First, if in fact the air/idle mixture screw welch plug is still in place, remove it via drilling thru, and picking it loose.
Now you can adjust the air/idle circuit.
Gently bottom out the screw, and back it out 2 3/4 turns.
You may need to re-set the idle once up to full operating temps.
With the choke needing to be out to ride, about a 100% chance the pilot jet is too small, starving the bike.
Bump that jet up until the coughing/sneezing is gone.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM
rydahog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So how did you do? i am process of same thing..my first big issue was for a 16 yr old bike..check the gas tank..mine is starting to fail inside with some rust,,and also the liner peeling...i temporarily cleaned it, (it got dirty later again) but before that, i am getting 35mpg..i am looking for about 40mpg..so trial and error on jets etc..also i have to change the intake manifold seals,,that was a project to get them vacuum free..but 3 times a charm...mine is 01 dwg...twin cam...

Old 12-14-2017, 05:17 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

The best advice I could give would be : after you get it all apart get some good carb cleaner , not in the can as it's not strong enough , some good stuff you can get at auto parts stores in 1gal at about $25 or take everything to a auto machine shop and have them soak the stuff for awhile , $5 or $10 it will really make a difference -- IMO

Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

Sorry for never updating, I ended up with a thread in the Dyna section as the bike is a low rider. I took everything apart and cleaned it with spray. Really wasn't that dirty, I don't think trash was the issue. Started at square one with the mixture screw since it has been adjusted before. Bike wouldn't idle without the enrichner and idle speed adjustment didn't do much. Switched to a 48 jet, 2 turns out on the mixture screw and she is perfect. Replaced the enrichner cable as well- old one broke. In reality, I'm a touch rich but I can live with it. I'm not chasing the last 1 or 2 mpg or mph.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:34 AM
BruceT1971
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Planning on rebuilding my carb (2001 DWG). Ordered kit with new diaphragm. Going to order the 88 Sporty Jet. Is there a sticky, or other post with detailed instructions? Maybe tools needed as well. First Harley, I need to get the shop manual, but want to get this carb straightened out. Thanks

Old 01-08-2018, 06:43 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BruceT1971
Planning on rebuilding my carb (2001 DWG). Ordered kit with new diaphragm. Going to order the 88 Sporty Jet. Is there a sticky, or other post with detailed instructions? Maybe tools needed as well. First Harley, I need to get the shop manual, but want to get this carb straightened out. Thanks

Just basic tools, screwdriver, sockets, and a couple wrenches. Lots of youtube videos on loosening the throttle cables and tightening them back down. Carb removal too i think. Other than that, lay things out in the order they come off/go back together. Do it all in the same day so you don't forget. Pin holding the float has an arrow cast into the carb body- goes in the direction of the arrow and out the other way if you remove it.

https://cv-performance.com/instructions-guides

Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Did you change the emulsion tube? This is needed as the stock tube is too restrictive. (No, you can't just "drill holes in it...")

Quick Reply: Carb Rebuild Advice