Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Black smoke upon shutting EVO off?

Old 02-12-2018, 06:19 PM
hardcandydyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black smoke upon shutting EVO off?

Took my 99 evo Springer for a ride earlier, let the bike warm up, and upon returning home I noticed when I shut the bike off in the garage some black smoke coming out of my python3 pipes, fired it righ back up and got 2-3 puffs of black smoke and it went away right away, fired it up about a hour later with zero black smoke nor zero issues, anyone ever have this? Or am I over worrying thanks

Last edited by hardcandydyna; 02-12-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 02-13-2018, 07:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Black smoke usually indicates that your bike is running rich. Any changes, such as to the exhaust etc, are likely to affect your carb/efi, so some adjustment may reduce the problem. If that doesn't work, find someone local who knows how to adjust the tune of your bike!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 620 Posts

i think mr. gr is spot on!!!

for the sporadic nature as you described, my first suspect would be unstable fuel bowl level.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:21 PM
hardcandydyna
Advanced

Bike hasn’t had any changes, carb was rebuilt this past dec, the previous owner didn’t ride the bike very often, I’m gonna have to get out there and run it, see how the plugs look aswell thank you

Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

hummm, last dec and not ridden much??

although it may happen, you find the plugs showing excess fuel, never say never, because:

up at highway speeds, fuel demand might exceed fuel leakage rate so the plugs might show normal. however, when you run under leakage rate demand, the fuel will build in the bowl. also factor in that plugs will show diff color according to riding style as engines are not as efficient at low speeds. it could be a fluke or trash in the needle/seat, maybe a loose jet or any other number of things. one thing for sure is excess fuel will wash the oil off the cyl walls and that leads to accelerated wear. such a small thing to check the carb, but it is your machine.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 AM
hardcandydyna
Advanced

I pulled out the paper work from the org owner and it seems when they rebuilt the carb a 45 pilot jet was installed, bike has python pipes and a screamin eagle air cleaner, the bike sat from 2013-2017 and the work was performed when the org owner decided to get the bike up and running again, when parked it didn’t have any issues but I’m gonna remove the carb and go over it all again, they may have the wrong main jet

Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

main is not your issue unless it is loose since it is not in the circuit. my sport came with a 42 pilot but i installed a 45 which is a common adjustment so i doubt this is an issue either.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM
hardcandydyna
Advanced

I honestly think it’s a clogged petcock, it shut off suddenly, I changed to reserve and it fired up with out issue. Bike started to have a miss or hesistation when the throttle was cracked but cleared up in higher RPM, bike doesn’t smoke upon shutting off or back fire anymore, it did sit forwhile so bad gas could be a problem to

Old 02-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by hardcandydyna
I honestly think it’s a clogged petcock, it shut off suddenly, I changed to reserve and it fired up with out issue. Bike started to have a miss or hesistation when the throttle was cracked but cleared up in higher RPM, bike doesn’t smoke upon shutting off or back fire anymore, it did sit forwhile so bad gas could be a problem to
Clogged petcock would cause a lean rather than a rich condition. Overfilled float bowl or too large an idle jet would be more along the lines, bad gas can't really see it but it is a possibility, have you not run the tank dry yet? Check to fuel filter at the top of the petcock, maybe there is some debris there and while you at it clean out the tank.