Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Having to blip throttle every start

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
muaymendez1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having to blip throttle every start

I'm beginning to think I have a problem . NO NOT THAT ONE!
even after a long ride, if I stop the engine for 5 minutes. I have to blip the throttle constantly or the engine dies. It's like it's cold all over again. Like a cold morning start although once warm it doesn't quite tale as long to "prime" the engine. 1 minute and I'm good to go. It's pretty annoying when everyone in the group is ready to go and here I am revving like a newbie harley owner
Carbs cleaned. New intake and exhaust gaskets, fresh fuel. No other issues. It runs great after about 10 minutes of riding I get good idle at a stop.
Idle is set at approx 1k.
No popping, no coughing. Accelerated and decel are perfect. 91 Electra sport. Ais installed,

Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Check the float level setting? Is Petcock turned all the way to the on position? Check vacuum lines and see if your VOES is connwcted. Sounds like you may be starving for fuel when you first fire up and with that in mind when you blip the throttle it engages the accelerator pump. VOES may be the culprit as well.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:39 PM
muaymendez1
Novice

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Check the float level setting? Is Petcock turned all the way to the on position? Check vacuum lines and see if your VOES is connwcted. Sounds like you may be starving for fuel when you first fire up and with that in mind when you blip the throttle it engages the accelerator pump. VOES may be the culprit as well.
I didn't check the boss but it is connected. I have a dynamic 2000 ignition. Do you think that just blocking off the boss should do something. It's not like it needs it

Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

The VOES controls the trottle advance during warm up of the engine, if the VOES is disconnected from the vacuum of the carb then there would be no.throttle advance. Has the bike run well and this is a new issue or have you had the issue since you bought the bike? Maybe the throttle advance was not set correctly when the aftermarket ignition system was installed.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 04-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

voes isn't it.
i do not even run it, disconnected and i use rpm base advance. voes is just a switch between two adv curves. the machine will run just fine on the retarded curve. the voes is a emission thingy for the most part.
are you using the enrichener?? the passage could be blocked so you will not get the rich mix needed for warm up.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:57 AM
muaymendez1
Novice

Originally Posted by bustert
voes isn't it.
i do not even run it, disconnected and i use rpm base advance. voes is just a switch between two adv curves. the machine will run just fine on the retarded curve. the voes is a emission thingy for the most part.
are you using the enrichener?? the passage could be blocked so you will not get the rich mix needed for warm up.
Choke
Its working and I use it for morning starts. I'm gonna turn the mixture screw rich a bit. Saturday out for a run. Stopped the bike for fuel. Hit the starter button and had a backfire.
I needed to hit the start button and quickly give a little throttle to get her started.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

1990 FLHS here, owned from new. Some aftermarket ignition systems use the VOES, others dont. Without it connected the bike can run like a b1tch and give more problems that simply starting, at least in my experience. The Dynatec 2000 has an option of using a VOES, so it is worth looking into that further - may be possible to download the instructions from their website.

One possibility, if you still have the stock pickup, is that it has developed a fault. They are infamous for failing and the symptom is that they start to 'melt'. To check open up the round cover in the timing cone.