Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

keihin carb float

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 PM
79fxeforiginal
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keihin carb float

rebuilt my 1979 fxef stock keihin carb and still get fuel dripping out of bowl vent all new parts except float ,,,set float to be level with body wen inverted,,,,trying to find afloat and to date have had no luck,,,,,any ideas,,,,,,thanks ....art

Old 05-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

needle and seat, heavy float, leaky float (pinhole) if metal, float adjustment

Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 AM
79fxeforiginal
Novice

might have a lead on a float on ebay ,,,not ebay savy,,,never used it before,,,,ill post when i find something thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 02:47 PM
79fxeforiginal
Novice

thru some more research and calling harley direct 1-800# they had me call a place called vintage parts and they only sell to harley dealers as per contract,,,,so brian at woodstock harley in kingston ny found one so i called highland harley in md and jackie bless her heart has one ups on the way to me right now ,,,,,,thanks Art

Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Make sure the float valve seat is clean. A little polishing compound (Like mothers mag wheel and chrome polish) on a q-tip will clean the brass seat. Turn the q-tip in the seat with your fingers like a drill bit to remove any build up and polish it smooth. Just make sure you clean all of the polishing compound out after. YD

The following users liked this post:
Baird (06-25-2022)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:14 PM
79fxeforiginal
Novice

just got new float yesterday, will probably get to it tomorrow,busier now that im retired, another suggestion was to use a sharpened pencil to clean the seat ,also i have a float weight gage ill check that and post when done ,thanks

Old 05-24-2018, 10:49 AM
79fxeforiginal
Novice

okay, replaced float and the SOB still leaks out the overflow at my wits end new kit seat has been cleaned and no positive results, any ideas is float level set with carb inverted and damper in needle fully closed? whats left

Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Did you replace the needle? Is the “rubber” tip of the needle pliable or hard?

Saw you ordered float so figured you diagnosed it as such.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:50 AM
79fxeforiginal
Novice

Victory is mine, polished seat again and installed a OE Harley needle, set float as per instructions, all is good, the harley needle was just a touch longer and fatter than the aftermarket one, and cured the problem, ride safe, and THANK YOU to all who served and safe weekend Art

Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 AM
gjkozy
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking over flow

Just finished working on a 76 amf carb. After cleaning a very gummed up carb i put all together and was dripping through the ovrflow tobe. I had though it was a float issue and made many attempts to stop the leak.

Finally too the bowl off and filled it with gas to see if it was leaking where the tube is inserted in the float bowl. Nothing was obvious untill I administered compressed air into the tube through the fitting on bottom of the bowl. I immediately saw air bubbles exiting a long crack that ran along the axis of the brass tube.

i poure the gas of of the bowl and can see where the black film seeped through the crack under pressure. It was not obvious during the first couple of dissasemblies because the brass tube was cleaned wih fine steel wool and everything looked solid and shiney.

i repaired it be using plumbers roll to clean the brass, the brushed on flux and used a high wattage soldering gun to apply solder on the crack. This stopped the gas from dripping outbthe overflow tube.

Hope this gives someone a alternative when everything they try doesn't work. Seem there are no replacement tube for sale without buying a carb or float bowl.

The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (07-16-2018)

Quick Reply: keihin carb float