Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

95 1200 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Gellisjr1
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 1200 Sportster

Hi not sure if this is the right spot for my post. Feel free to move it if its not. I have a 95 Sportster 1200 gas tank that the liner inside is peeling off and rusted. I am looking for a pour in type coating system that will stop the rust. Looking for recommendations on what to use. Thanks.

Gordon

Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

I say just clean up the tank with Ospho, or Metal Rescue, or similar rust removing/conversion type product and leave well enough alone. That will take care of the rust issue. Just do a little reading online on these types of products and use according to instructions. It's a good idea to wash the inside of the tank with dawn dish soap and water and rinse completely before using the etching product. The reason is, the residual fuel will weaken or prevent the acid from doing it's job. Do multiple treatments of etching if needed in order to remove/convert the rust inside the tank. Then after conversion, rinse multiple times and neutralize with baking soda, then rinse again. Air dry, or force dry with compressed air or hair dryer.

Make sure you remove as much of the original loose liner as possible before using the above or similar product to clean up the rust, then follow instructions on the label of whatever you are using. Protect the paint as much as possible with plastic and tape.

The problem I have with liners is they have a high failure rate. Especially when tank prep is not perfect. However, redgard has a good reputation for a liner, as well as 2 part epoxy tank liner by caswell plating.

The liner on my 1994 just failed this past summer and I decided to not put any liner back. I have other motorcycle tanks that are 50 years old and as long as the tank is kept full, especially in winter, you should not have any major rust issues.

A little fuel stabilizer and some 2 stroke or marvel mystery oil in the tank when the bike sits for a long period of time don't hurt either and helps keep the rust from coming back. YD