Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Replacing Petcock - How to Plug Vac

Old 04-06-2019, 04:27 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,895 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by TexNorth
Maybe I had a different problem, but:

I just changed the petcock (to a non vacuum one) on my sporty for a different reason. It's a 2005 so it has a carb. If I let it sit for a month, the bowl will dry out. When I go to start it up, I have to crank the motor long enough for the vacuum pull hard enough to get some gas to flow to fill the bowl. Sometimes it cranks for so long that I start running the battery down. SO now with the regular petcock, I open it, it fills the bowl and will fire right up.
You have a different issue you should check into, the bowl shouldn't be dry in a month unless you live on the Sun.

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Just switch things over to a conventional non vacuum petcock and a straight shot vacuum line from carb to voes. Makes life simpler. Getting rid of the vacuum activated petcock makes less thing to give you trouble.

Get in the habit of shutting the petcock off every time you shut the bike down and it will become second nature. Won't even remember shutting it off or turning it on. Just becomes part of the shut down and start routine. YD
Problem with doing it correctly is the OP doesn't want to remove the tank so He wanted suggestions.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:59 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
You have a different issue you should check into, the bowl shouldn't be dry in a month unless you live on the Sun.

Problem with doing it correctly is the OP doesn't want to remove the tank so He wanted suggestions.
Take off the seat, LOOSEN front tank mounting bolt a little, REMOVE rear tank mounting bolt, lift back portion of seat up high enough to gain access to said parts. Yes I get it, sometimes I have to do things that I don't want to do also....YD

Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,895 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Take off the seat, LOOSEN front tank mounting bolt a little, REMOVE rear tank mounting bolt, lift back portion of seat up high enough to gain access to said parts. Yes I get it, sometimes I have to do things that I don't want to do also....YD
He's afraid of screwing it up. Agreed, doing it correctly the first time is best.
But He wanted alternatives that would work, He knew how to do it correctly but didn't want too.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 PM
TexNorth
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Well, I do live in Texas! The bike does have a Cali vapor tank and the drain on the bottom of the bowl runs down somewhere, so maybe I should trace it and see if the bowl seeps out and is draining somewhere where it shouldn't. I just figured the bowl is drying out because as soon as it gets gas, it fires up.

I'll put it on my list of things I need to get done......right after I put the cam in my bagger.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 AM
bkbroiler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the suggestions! I removed the tank over the weekend and fixed it. The cheapest OEM replacement was $92. I went w/ a cheap JP Cycles replacement for now. I'm well aware I get what I pay for, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It works but is super stiff to turn. I hope it loosens up a bit.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bkbroiler
Thank you for all the suggestions! I removed the tank over the weekend and fixed it. The cheapest OEM replacement was $92. I went w/ a cheap JP Cycles replacement for now. I'm well aware I get what I pay for, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It works but is super stiff to turn. I hope it loosens up a bit.
Well done - we love a story with a happy ending! Give that tap a squirt of WD40 - seems to fix a lot of things.....

The following users liked this post:
bkbroiler (04-12-2019)