Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

S&S super e idle not right

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Tat2carson
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S&S super e idle not right

I have an Evo (.20 over cyl, pistons, EV27 cam, S&S carb) on a 1985 FXR and put a used S&S super E carb on with the manifold, i have been up and down the int jets ( hi range low range, side to side range etc) the .033 works when warm and im 1 3/4 turns out with the idle air adjustment screw, after riding 15 min or more (cool to warm Tacoma Wa. day) its idle changes and goes up a bit, my main jet seems OK for now, id like to get the int jet dialed in 1st. I did order an insulator block which should be here tomorrow and the one remaining jet i didnt have (an .035) my question is: is the bike heating up until the carb is getting hot also, after that time of 15-20 min of riding. and throwing off my lean/rich mix. because i dont have an insulator block?? (The guy who sold me the carb/manifold/air cleaner, didnt sell me the insul. block so i didnt even think i needed one) it looks like a gasket in the new carb pictures. can that be my problem. It does seem possible. Thanks ahead of time for any help here.
also ill try the start fluid on the manifold to check for leaks, (great tip to the man who posted that, i wondered how to check for that) i am 90 percent sure i did that right, i triple checked for the flubber lining up rite.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the VOE's vacuum outlet in use or blocked off ??
What air cleaner are you running? Ensure the hole in front of carb is not blocked by your AC??
Just a couple of things that come to mind, good luck, cheers

Last edited by OzBobPanGlide; 04-18-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Tat2carson
Intermediate

hey OzBobPanHead thanks for the reply, I have checked and tested the VOES and hose, its not blocked off its in use. i have a new air filter too. im using the stock s&s teardrop (ive always thought they looked pretty badass). ill doublecheck the front hole when i get off work tonight tho also man. thanks again -Carson

Last edited by Tat2carson; 04-18-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Check for intake leaks. That .033 is WAY too big for your setup. A 028 should be plenty for intermediate jetting.
Insulator block is required.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 PM
Tat2carson
Intermediate

My whole question was did i need the insulator block, seems like when running a while (long enough for the carb to get heated up) it would change my good idling bike to bad idling bike.
I dont know what all has been done to this bike but ts a beast. i can pull the front wheel off the ground, (ill post a pic of that when the rain stops, pretty cool hahha) i think crank may be different ( i put wiseco .30 over pistons/jugs for what should have worked on a stock engine. on this winter and they bottomed out. ( i have all the #s in my book) went to start and clunk. I have no clue what was done to this motor. i know what i did was put on new rings had them hone it ring gaps n stuff.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Tat2carson
Intermediate

It is super smooth running now (This old FXR has never EVER been so smooth running) The problem turned out to be no carb insulator block. a .033 intermediate jet 1 1/2 turns out idle air adj. and super smooth riding slow in 1st. no more sputtering haha . I appreciate all the help guys.Thanks OZBOB and JBARR

Last edited by Tat2carson; 04-20-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: didnt thank the guys
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 PM
OzBobPanGlide
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, enjoy

Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tat2carson
It is super smooth running now (This old FXR has never EVER been so smooth running) The problem turned out to be no carb insulator block. a .033 intermediate jet 1 1/2 turns out idle air adj. and super smooth riding slow in 1st. no more sputtering haha . I appreciate all the help guys.Thanks OZBOB and JBARR
The reason for the Isolator block is to keep the heat from carb... It will affect the way it runs when the carb gets too hot... A .033" intermediate still sounds to big... especially in an E. Hell my 96" evo with a G is only running a .031". the only way to really tell is by using a Wego III AFR meter....

Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Tat2carson
Intermediate
Default jets, insulator block

GOT IT FINALLY, I tried smaller jets, (all of them pS&S makes) and it ran horrible. I finally have it tuned good. And with the recommended .0295 to. 033 int jet. (I tried all the low range int jet sizes too) I could barely start it, stalled warming up and cranked it dead twice trying, with initial settings (from S&S site and manual. . Now it starts easilly, warms up great, idles, runs smooth .035 int jet-.076 main jet. Plugs are nice (not lean tan, not wet or sooty) everyone said these were too big so i didnt try them. But now it starts and warms up and runs like i was hoping it would. I was ready to sell my FXR and buy a Dyna haha. Now i can buy the streetglide i wanted for longer range traveling, and keep this for around town. Thanks guys. Harley guys are the best helping each other out.