Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

My FXR ain't pulling like it used to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 722 Likes on 443 Posts
Default My FXR ain't pulling like it used to?

Hello. My FXR had sat along time. Wouldn't run right, had to have choke on to make it home one day. Lol. I'm not a mechanic, but I bought a kit and did the carb.
Now, the bike starts like new, idles very nice, no sputtering/missing, but don't seem to pull? Mid to high range. It accellerates, but feels "flat"?
Think main jet is plugged? Something with that switch thing, v.o.c.e, whatever?
Hate asking dumb crap, but this is where I'm at. I have also a new bike, but wanna get this 91 going sweet, might trade it in for a nice used RK.
I hate hasseling with the damn cables, but I'll do what I gotta again. Wonder if I just took the carb to an Indy, if he'd go through it? It's the stock CV.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

Check the really small holes in the emulsion tube and the slow jet. If bike say for awhile those holes a so small they seem to clog up first with gas that goes bad. Need to hold them up to the light to see if clear or blocked. YD

Old 04-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanx yankdog. Would my bike act as described with that condition?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 927 Posts

You say the bike sat for a long time, so my gut tells me to focus on the fuel system. How long did the bike sit? What kit did you buy and did you take everything apart and clean it? (like the jets I mentioned).

If your talking storage of any longer than say 6 months with fuel that contained ethanol and no stabilizer was used, then I would be suspicious of the carb and the smaller orifices like I mentioned. I would also verify that your getting good fuel flow to the carb.

"Think main jet is plugged?" Anything is possible, I've seen guys who had pieces of the fuel hose crumbling from the inside of the line clog the main jet, so it's worth pulling the carb and really give it a good once over and cleaning. Have you checked the accelerator pump? It should squirt a steady stream of fuel when you twist the throttle. The rubber parts (diaphragm) don't last forever.

I would check fuel flow, then check that the carb is really clean (all orifice, passages and jets) no holes in slide diaphragm or accelerator pump working properly, and float level. Idle mix screw has a small rubber seal that can get messed up or stuck when removing/installing also.

The VOES needs to be tested with an ohmeter and vacuum gauge. Or down and dirty would be to disconnect the purple wire that connects to the voes and see if your idle speed drops. If it does, then it is probably operating correctly, but the only real accurate way is to use the vacuum pump and ohmeter. YD

Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
You say the bike sat for a long time, so my gut tells me to focus on the fuel system. How long did the bike sit? What kit did you buy and did you take everything apart and clean it? (like the jets I mentioned).

If your talking storage of any longer than say 6 months with fuel that contained ethanol and no stabilizer was used, then I would be suspicious of the carb and the smaller orifices like I mentioned. I
would also verify that your getting good fuel flow to the carb.

"Think main jet is plugged?" Anything is possible, I've seen guys who had pieces of the fuel hose crumbling from the inside of the line clog the main jet, so it's worth pulling the carb and really give it a good once over and cleaning. Have you checked the accelerator pump? It should squirt a steady stream of fuel when you twist the throttle. The rubber parts (diaphragm) don't last forever.

I would check fuel flow, then check that the carb is really clean (all orifice, passages and jets) no holes in slide diaphragm or accelerator pump working properly, and float level. Idle mix screw has a small rubber seal that can get messed up or stuck when removing/installing also.

The VOES needs to be tested with an ohmeter and vacuum gauge. Or down and dirty would be to disconnect the purple wire that connects to the voes and see if your idle speed drops. If it does, then it is probably operating correctly, but the only real accurate way is to use the vacuum pump and ohmeter. YD
Ok. Thanx. The original problem was the account pump diaphram. It had a hole in it. It starts and idles so good, idk? Maybe comming off my stage 1 m8 has me confused! Lmao. I'll pull it off again.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,579 Likes on 9,802 Posts

Yeah? neither is my Sportster. let me know if a carb rebuild does anything for it...