Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Random sputter

Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 PM
David Ostrander
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Random sputter

Past couple of weeks I have been having an issue with a random sputter. While cruising down the road every now and then I will get a random sputter like I am running out of gas it will do this for about 50 ft. Then it will stop and go back to running fine. Last week I Got about 2 miles from home and the sputter started for about 50 ft then stopped went back to running fine one mile later it did it again sputtering for about 50 feet. Don't seem to matter at what RPM or how fast I'm going. Petcock filter is new also checked inline fuel filter it's good. There is plenty of fuel flowing from the line. I have adjusted the float Bowl twice and it's right. The carburetor has been cleaned twice.

A few weeks ago I went on the 20 mile trip to my buddies house the bike did great all the way there. I left his house got about a mile away started to sputter straightened out and was good the rest of the way home.

And today made it 20 feet out of my driveway and did it again. This time I pulled the choke for a second and it quit and was great the rest of the ride. Any ideas would be great it's a pain to figure out since it happen randomly.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

off hand, check vac line to petcock
then look at petcock itself
since my machine is built for top end, i have to use non vac petcock as i cannot afford a lean out at speed.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 AM
David Ostrander
6th Gear

I'm running a non vacuum petcock as well and the petcock is brand new. My bike is a full custom build SS motor, Rivera Primo transmission, Santee frame and tons of other s*** LOL

Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

put some inline spark tester on it and see if ign drops when sputter occurs.
might have to snake out the wiring for loose connection or a bad system relay or circuit breaker or corroded fusing. do not over look bar sw and ign sw.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM
David Ostrander
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
put some inline spark tester on it and see if ign drops when sputter occurs.
might have to snake out the wiring for loose connection or a bad system relay or circuit breaker or corroded fusing. do not over look bar sw and ign sw.
Going to try the inline spark tester. See if I can find one. And I'm going to run over the wiring again.