Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb setup guidance needed.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

How to properly use the enrichener on the CV-40:

Pull it out
crank bike over (AND LEAVE THE DAMN THROTTLE CLOSED!)
when it starts, let it idle high for about 15 seconds. Blip throttle if you have open pipes and hate your neighbors
slowly push the enrichener **** in about half way, idle should drop a little
drive away
push **** the rest of the way in after a couple miles

FWIW, if your idle is less than 900 than it's too low. And, unless it's 1970 and your bike is a 2-stroke, don't waste your time with plug chops. Get a Wideband and do it right otherwise it's just darts at a wall.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 AM
xtremeskier97
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, with all the changes I've tried, I've found that the bike runs best with stock 45 & 190 jets. So that's what's in there now. I've tried shimming the needle and I've tried a 48 pilot. Bike didnt run well at all with either of those. It would constantly stumble on itself and I would get carb farts.

I DID find out today that I've got the needle from Joe Minton's carb setup (the needle from an 88 sportster 1200). So, I had his setup all along and didnt even know it. I had bought one from Harley and was going to put it in today until I realized it already had it in there. It's no wonder shimming the needle was making it run like crap.

So, I've got a new set of plugs I'm going to throw in and get a read on them.

The main reason I was inquiring about jetting is that I'm hearing a sound under load that I was attributing to spark knock, but now I'm not so sure that's what it is. There is another guy in my area with a wide glide like mine, so I may have to meet up with him and listen to his bike to see if it's anything to worry about.