Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Carb swap, from S&S "G" to what Mikuni???

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
rel3rd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carb swap, from S&S "G" to what Mikuni???

The bike is a Zipper's 95" Heritage with TW50 cams, DaVinci rebuilt/modified S&S carb, Dynatek adjustable ignition (which I also plan to swap for a Daytona Twin Tec) and SuperTrapp SuperMeg 2:1 pipe running 20 discs and closed endplate. Even though it runs very well at any rpm, and definitely has no lack of power, I'm going to finally go ahead and swap out the S&S Super G off of my bike and replace it with a Mikuni. I'm not all that concerned about peak HP, as I am about peak TQ and I am pretty sure (after reading and reading) that the Mikuni will be a better choice in the long run.

There's no issues at all with my S&S. I just want to try a Mikuni setup to see if the hype is backed up by the product....and some more MPG's would also be nice, since most S&S carbs seem to chug the gas no matter the tune.

With a fairly mild setup like mine, 97hp/101tq, which Mikuni would be best choice for me?

HSR 42 or the HSR 45?

From what I have read, and heard, the 42 is mainly for stock replacement, where the 45 is more for modded engines without losing any low end power??? If that's the case, I'm "guessing" the 45 would be the one to get?

Help me not "guess", by suggesting/sharing which one you have on what combo, please...

Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been running my G for almost 4 years now and am very pleased with it. I also have a SuperMeg, which is a great system. Have you had your bike set up on a dyno, to ensure your carb is giving its best? If you change carb you will simply give yourself a fresh set of things to get right. Might as well do that with your G IMHO.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
rel3rd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been running my G for almost 4 years now and am very pleased with it. I also have a SuperMeg, which is a great system. Have you had your bike set up on a dyno, to ensure your carb is giving its best? If you change carb you will simply give yourself a fresh set of things to get right. Might as well do that with your G IMHO.
It was dynotuned a few years ago, and I hear what you are saying.

Opinions seem to vary about the S&S, as far as overall use and "like-ability", just like with the Mikunis, but one thing I have never seen anywhere, is someone saying they regretted making the swap. Better gas mileage is also a plus that everyone seems to get with the swap.

My Super G has been Thunderjetted, has the DaVinci "Booster kit" (aka Gun sight), and was rebuilt by Dan DaVinci himself, so there's no issues with it, aside from crappy mileage, which the majority of all S&S users seem to suffer from...