Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Petcock filter upgrade, inline fuel filter and source of fuel debris

Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 AM
BigRonAtl
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petcock filter upgrade, inline fuel filter and source of fuel debris

Hi all! I’m having fuel issues on a 1981 (I think) HarleyLow Rider FXB with a S&S Super E Shorty. The consensus is that dirt/debris gotinto the carb causing its erratic behavior. Will clean out the carb and/orrebuild it.

Drained the gas from the main tank, thru the petcock andrubber fuel line into a bucket. I saw the small debris and some bigger blackchunks in this picture. As seen from thefill holes, the tank only has a small spot of surface rust. Liner appears thick& in place but I can’t see all of it. I’m going to fill & drain a fewtimes until there’s no more debris. But, just in case the debris shows upagain, I'm hoping for an easy a solution to filter the smaller debris getting passed theexisting stainless steel petcock screen in the picture to keep it out of my carb!

1. Is that size/amount of debris enough to cause carbissues? That much was in 2 gallons of fresh gas.

2. What could be breaking down & leaving the bigger chunks(which are not a rust color). They are black. Could it be the rubber petcock washerbreaking down. It looks OK, not perfect. Could it be the inside of the fuelline? Could it be flakes from the tank liner?Could it be the rubber crossover fuel line? Could it be a cap seal? What else is black & touchesthe gas inside a tank? I’m going to replace everything, I think.

3. Do the bronze petcock screens work better than myexisting stainless steel ones? Is there a petcock screen that is better thanthe bronze or stainless steel ones?

4. I’d rather not add an inline fuel filter for fear of loweringthe fuel flow and affecting the already touchy S&S carb. But, if I do, hasanyone installed one that has not affected their S&S Super E Shorty? Which brand/model?

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails Petcock filter upgrade, inline fuel filter and source of fuel debris-gas.jpg   Petcock filter upgrade, inline fuel filter and source of fuel debris-screen.jpg