Custom Models All custom bikes.

American Ironhorse

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Detour
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default American Ironhorse

Does anybody own an American Ironhorse or know someone that does? I'm curious to find out about build quality, reliability, etc... I'm especially interested in any info on the Slammer or Texas Chopper...

Kurt

Old 09-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Birch
Advanced
Default RE: American Ironhorse

Hey Dogz, I have a AIH outlaw 113, great bike all sheet metal is steel, quality is better then most other customs out there, never had a problem with the bike and it rides nice. hope that helps

Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior

My buddy Mez rides a 2003 AIH and that bike is simply sick. From everyone I have talked to, they are probably the premier "custom" bike you can buy - meaning they have enough bikes out there and have been around long anough that they have a refined product and are able to stand behind it consistently. I also had the pleasure of riding his bike and let me tell you that it is unbelievable...I was up at Zack's V-Twin in Hyde Park, NY this past weekend checking out their AIH bikes and those Slammers are SICK...if I had the $$$ I wuldn't mind having one for local cruising and short runs...maybe some dragging here and there on Central Avenue

JB

Old 10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Mxjunkie
Advanced

I have a 04 slammer and a 05 slammer. They are good looking bikes but I am not to sold on the overall handling of the bike. The response is sluggish and it doesnt handle as well as the good ol wide glide.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:36 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I know a guy here in town that has a Texas Chopper, it's a 2003, left side drive with a 250 tire. The fit and finsh is exceptional !!! The motor is an S&S 107 all polished, I don't know if it has a 5 or a 6 speed though.......These are REALLY nice bikes, and are definitely worth the price, if you want a CHOPPER[&:]........If you're gonna do alot of highway riding, etc. then you would be better off getting a H/D FL bagger and customize it......Never underestimate how trick you can make an FL......... and the best part is you can actually walk after riding it all day!!!!

P.S. The guy that owns the bike I'm talking about above has a FLT classic, so he really has it good, huh?[&:]

joe

Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
jbrews
Advanced

I used to ride a Texas Chopper. Very fine bike. The 107 S&S pulls very strong through all 6 gears.
Tank blocks the wind pretty well, a bit rough at speeds over 85. All in all I highly recommend them!
jbrews

Old 04-21-2006, 03:24 PM
aperalta
Stage III

I am a very happy, proud owner if a dark blue 05 Texas Chopper. I bought the first 124 size engine out of Arlen Ness in Dublin last year and put about 6K miles on it since. It has the 280 rear tire. I've changed out the stock exhaust to the new Martin Bros Trixtas Pipes and the huge rear view SUV mirrors. Right side drive so the bike is very well balanced. This is the second chopper I've owned, the first one was a Big Dog Chopper and I can tell you, the Texas Chopper is by far superior by quality, styling and reliability. They are pretty close in price. I do like the new Big Dog K9's but American Ironhorse has the newer styling (especially with the tank) that I really liked. Ride quality is well....typical for any chopper, a little on the firm side so next upgrade is to check out a custom corbin seat. My wife rode with me on a suction seat all through the 100 mile Vegas week poker runs last year too. She did say the ride was a little firm so I bought a small gel insert for her seat and it made a huge difference by lessening vibration. My family and friends like this bike better too. You can't go wrong!!! Pix to come after resizing. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:19 AM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend bought a Slammer last summer and rode it right to our summer house from the dealer, about 30 miles away. By the time he got there, the hydraulic clutch master cylinder had leaked to a point where the clutch barely engaged, the front brake was also leaking badly at the caliper, and the air suspension wouldn't work at all. Not to mention the optional paint that cost him an extra 4 grand had fish eyes and runs in it. All this for only 42 grand! The dealer never could get the suspension problem right but luckily for him, someone else didn't mind the poorly put together bike, it was stolen a month later. Needless to say, it was replaced with a Harley. These assembly line customs are produced in large quantities that the manufacturers can't handle and there is no care put into their assembly. I think you're better off having a smaller, local shop build you a "true" custom for the same or less money. At least they might give the assembly more attention and you can watch the process of the build yourself. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
aperalta
Stage III

Aw, bummer to hear about your friends experience with his slammer. Good to know he made out with a Harley. I had a similar experience with my first Big Dog Chopper.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:39 AM
reedv
Intermediate

whats really ashame is at motorcycle auctions i have never seen one bring over 20 grand. even with under 1000 miles . great deal if you buy used. buy it new 40000. next week half price street value . i know this will **** some people off but i see it every time im at auctions buying bikes .

Quick Reply: American Ironhorse