Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably good advice TSheff......

Old 06-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Plenty of projects available on CL. Just one would probably cure you of this idea!

Old 06-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

My bike needs some work so I am going to fiddle with that a bit and learn. In the meantime, I am curious about thoughts for the bike I might build some day, when I have the necessary experience.

I really like the way my FLSTC rides around town. I would like a bike that is a little more comfortable and carries a bit more luggage. My first thought is a Road King. But I want an EVO. I want a simple carbureted bike with minimal electronics. And I want the rugged quality finishes of the older bikes. And I may try to give it a little of a softail retro look but on a more comfortable and better performing frame.

I would not custom build a frame. I would buy and existing frame. Buy a completely assembled motor, transmission, suspension, etc. More of an assembly than a custom build as someone commented.

I would expect that I would have more in it than it would cost me to buy a new one. But that is okay since I like the old ones better than the new ones. I just want a new style bike and has a few personal touches.

I could set up a work station in the garage and piddle with it a few hours at a time in the evening. Do everything multiple times as someone suggested. What else would you suggest to accelerate my learning curve.

I kind of like the idea of stripping it down to the frame, motor and transmission and replacing the entire electrical system, cleaning everything and putting it back together. There are a lot of corroded light sockets. Some the light bulb is rusted into the socket and will not come out. I like the idea of converting to LED to make myself more visible.

Then if it runs, take it over to my mechanic and have him see how I did.

So, minting out my 92 is a good suggestion for a start.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Assemble a complete bike

Ok good friend did this after years of pans shovels and others asst. bikes decides to assemble a soft tail evo with new parts. Well years later and close to 35,000 and not counting any labor. Bike done it's nice has electric start all bells and whistles turns lights. Etc. getting there was a pain in *** nothing fit right redid most frame mounts then there's the chrome stuff headlight setup wouldn't fit sent back has wide glide frt other one didn't fit either but all there was made to fit plus a lot of trial and error. And don't get me started on defective parts jeesh. Well good luck.

Ps 90 percent bike was all mail order won't specify but major supplier. Ride Safe. Wild Bill
picture of finished bike

Attached Thumbnails How difficult is it to build a bike?-image.jpeg  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

I like that bike Hurricane 68. Simple and functional. And I bet much higher quality than what comes out of the factory.

That is what I would like to build. Something that is not fancy, but very well built and built exactly how I want it.

But your story has convinced me that I am no where near ready yet. I think I will follow the advice here and fiddle with my softail a bit before I consider "building" or "assembling" something myself.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,602 Likes on 5,171 Posts

Bolt on builds are not hard and often work out. So called custom ground up builds are rarely finished by the person that started them and end up costing big money. They also most often end up less than desirable riders.
You are not going to build a bike of higher quality than what you buy new. You would go broke and end up disappointment.
Pick a ride you like buy it right , sit back look at it. Find a direction you want to go with it. Start your journey you can do a lot with bolt on parts. Doing so also means the bike can be ridden while you build , not laid up or months or years.

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Actually building a bike from the ground up from scratch isn't a job to be taken lightly if you want it turn out right and dependable. I've been building them since the 70's and every bike is it's own project complete it's own issues and demands no 2 are ever the same.

Like you've been told already you need good mechanical skills, a decent tool set and work area, and access to all the nick knack small stuff you won't you know you need till you do and above all some familiarity with how a fully operating motorcycle works and how all the parts come together to make the whole which I'm not getting a warm fuzzy about reading your posts to this point.

Start with what you have get it and your skill level dialed in a bit more then take up the idea again maybe next year after you've gotten the hands dirty and cussed a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
some familiarity with how a fully operating motorcycle works and how all the parts come together to make the whole which I'm not getting a warm fuzzy about reading your posts to this point.
You are right that I am not intimately familiar with how all the parts come together. I was thinking that putting a bike together would be a good way to learn. But perhaps not.

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Start with what you have get it and your skill level dialed in a bit more then take up the idea again maybe next year after you've gotten the hands dirty and cussed a bit.
Yeah, probably makes sense. The problem with my existing bike is that it has had some work done on it over the years by people with limited skills and so I run into problems with things that are not as they were designed to be.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67

Yeah, probably makes sense. The problem with my existing bike is that it has had some work done on it over the years by people with limited skills and so I run into problems with things that are not as they were designed to be.
You just made OUR point. Get manuals and trace out what is not correct and fix it. You need to fully understand all the hows and whys, before you attempt to do a full build yourself. Some of them are just a nuisance and other could get you killed.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by TSheff
You just made OUR point. Get manuals and trace out what is not correct and fix it. You need to fully understand all the hows and whys, before you attempt to do a full build yourself. Some of them are just a nuisance and other could get you killed.
I have the factory service manual, factory parts catalog and owners manual for my bike. It was customized by the first owner. And messed with by the second owner and his kids. Also dropped and repaired a couple times by the second owner.

I have been putting it back to factory condition little by little. The only part left that I am not completely confident in is the electrical system. I have aired the wiring question here and the consensus seems to be a grounding issue.

I think the front turn signals were damaged and replaced with turn signals that have a different wiring setup.

I have considered replacing the entire wiring system. But I have been advised that it is a tedious project and can open a can of worms.

I have also considered upgrading the entire lighting system to LED.

You are all probably right that I am not ready to build a bike, even if it is really just assembling a bike. But it is appealing to not have to worry about correcting sins of the past - just taking my time to do it right the first time.

It seems like if you take your time, stick to assembling a basic design, research, seek advice, it should not be that difficult.

Then again, that is probably the perspective of someone who does not know enough to know what I don't know.

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to build a bike?