Custom Models All custom bikes.

Help with my Bobber project.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Metolius
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Bobber project.

Hey guys I've found a '66 HD sprinter 250 and for some reason got it in my head to turn it into a Bobber. The thing is that frame isn't very big and its pretty weird. It's set up for a horizontal engine so there's no frame at the bottom of the bike really so i'll have to break out the welder and add to the frame so I can install a different engine. There won't be much room I'd like to stuff some V-twin in there but I don't think I'll have room so I got thinking the Buell Blast 500 which is half a 883 and there's some things folks have been doing to those little thumpers to make them pretty quick. I want it to have a kick start a suicide clutch and a jockey shift. I've never actually looked at a Blast so I don't know if all of that will be possible. What do you fellas think? Is there another engine I should look into? Any tips on that or Bobbers or building bikes in general are welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

why use that frame? that is the part that does not make any since to me, if you are not going to keep the motor, then do not keep the frame, that 250 frame is going to be weak sauce compared to a good tubular fram, plus it does not have a down tube the motor is part of the frame, you pull that out the frame will not work for crap! why not just leave that motor in there and keep that, bob that sucker out.. or restore it...
if you are looking at putting a 883 in that frame there is just going to be a TON of fab work and you will need to make a Jig to get it strait and true... just way to much work when you can get a 883 frame or generic chop frame

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 with joe....might as well sell the damn thing and start with a fresh rigid frame for a sporty engine...

Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Metolius
Cruiser

Thanks guys I hear what you're saying, my dad and friends are saying the same thing. I know i'm going to need a down tube and I know its going to be alot of work. I already have a bike to ride so there's no hurry on this project. I've thought about just getting another frame and going from there but I don't want it to be just a bolt up custom and I'm kinda attached to this sprint now. Appreciate the suggestions guys. I suppose I should just get started on it and see what I can do with it instead of just talking about what I could do.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 PM
CSA
Road Master

Originally Posted by Metolius
Hey guys I've found a '66 HD sprinter 250 and for some reason got it in my head to turn it into a Bobber. The thing is that frame isn't very big and its pretty weird. It's set up for a horizontal engine so there's no frame at the bottom of the bike really so i'll have to break out the welder and add to the frame so I can install a different engine. There won't be much room I'd like to stuff some V-twin in there but I don't think I'll have room so I got thinking the Buell Blast 500 which is half a 883 and there's some things folks have been doing to those little thumpers to make them pretty quick. I want it to have a kick start a suicide clutch and a jockey shift. I've never actually looked at a Blast so I don't know if all of that will be possible. What do you fellas think? Is there another engine I should look into? Any tips on that or Bobbers or building bikes in general are welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Very Cool little Bike.

If I was you I would restore it to original condition. I mean custom bikes and what not are great, but why tear up a classic?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

agreed

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
longbrake81
6th Gear

Hey Joe,
What's up with those tiny shocks in the rear of that maroon bike? Are those solid? Does the springs actually work? If so...how do you not bottom out?