Custom Models All custom bikes.

Thunder Mountain Chopper

Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Progress!!

Hello and Happy New Year my TMCC friends....

Well I did more research and found the new style speedo/tach gauge will NOT work because our ECM's are technically Screamin Eagle's. Conclusion, the 70900070B is NOT compatible with our ECM. It looks like the only speedo/tach that will work with our bikes is the Dakota Digital MVX. I might try to take the bezel and glass off of my gauge, clean the glass and re assemble it at the risk of screwing it up. If that happens, I will have to default to the Dakota Digital gauge.

On another subject, I had the paint on my fenders and tank fixed. They are still at the painters hanging to cure. We're gonna give them a good two to three weeks prior to color sanding and polish. I've also purchased lots of new chrome parts [fender struts, outer primary cover, license plate frame, tank filler/fuel gauge assembly, console housing, new pipes (V&H Big Radius identical to my existing ones), and more]. My objective is to put the bike into showroom condition. As I switch out the pipes, I will have the transmission output drive pulley housing re chromed. I'd buy a new one but Jim's wants $600 for new. It can't cost more than $150 to re chrome mine. I may seem a bit crazy since no one sees the little chips in the chrome and paint, but I do. Isn't that why we call it a hobby? Come tax time, new tires and re chrome the wheels.

Here's a question I'd like some opinions to, as the new rear fender struts are installed and the fender attached, I was considering using a gasket between the chrome strut and the newly painted fender. This would fill any irregularities between the surfaces and not risk any hard edges damaging the paint. I was thinking a sheet of wax paper, unless someone comes up with a better idea. Any comments? Pictures uploaded in the next post.....

Last edited by Rainmaker-LBC; 01-01-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Default Progress!!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Paleface
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Rainmaker I am envious!! Cant wait to see the finished product. I was going to repaint mine this winter but it was not in my budget. I am thinking about the progressive 422 rap shocks so I can adjust for two up riding. I'm having a problem with my belt hitting the corner of my oil tank. Do you have any experience with them? Still waiting on my seats to be recovered with more cushion and my risers to be chromed.
Keith

Old 01-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paleface
Damn Rainmaker I am envious!! Cant wait to see the finished product. I was going to repaint mine this winter but it was not in my budget. I am thinking about the progressive 422 rap shocks so I can adjust for two up riding. I'm having a problem with my belt hitting the corner of my oil tank. Do you have any experience with them? Still waiting on my seats to be recovered with more cushion and my risers to be chromed.
Keith
I'm still running on the factory shocks. I believe they are Progressive's but non adjustable. Since I rarely carry a passenger, and prefer not to if I can help it, I don't have a reason to switch out the shocks. I bet the seat will come out fantastic. I just got home from visiting the painter. There's a small tiny blemish along the gold stripe on the back of the rear fender just below the license plate. cavity. Fortunately the gold strip is a little thinner in that location so widening the stripe should cover the blemish up if not totally, almost totally. Having that little piece fixed only adds another $150.00 to the paint work. It will be fixed by tomorrow he said. Then it's a few weeks to cure prior to assembly. My paint bill is up to an even $grand. Talk about breaking the bank! At least the paint will be damn near perfect!

Old 01-06-2019, 06:56 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 630 Posts

Man that thing is look-in-good .

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM
BigDogJohn
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103SE to 110SE

Hi Guys! Need help. I have TMC 2006 model and planning to upgrade it to 110SE it will be posible to use the stock cam from 103 cvo 253 cam to 110 SE or need to replace a new cam. Any input from u guys

Old 01-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

I am looking for a second bike, a Thunder Mountain Keystone. Does anyone want to sell theirs or know where one for sale is? Please PM me with any leads.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Robert Goodman (03-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Khloesdad
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dennyo
Man that thing is look-in-good .

I agree. This bike nearly had me fapping off.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Ready to go back together. I pick em up tomorrow and deliver to the mechanic. I should have Jessica back by next weekend! She has been gone for 8 weeks and I've missed her dearly.

Also, I think I've solved my handlebar issue. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Rainmaker-LBC; 01-25-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:32 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rainmaker-LBC
I am looking for a second bike, a Thunder Mountain Keystone. Does anyone want to sell theirs or know where one for sale is? Please PM me with any leads.

Thanks!
Just purchased today. Kind of a b-day present to myself. I think I'll name her Rosy, as in "A Whole Lotta Rosy"! She'll look great next to Jessica as soon as she arrives, I'm guessing two weeks or less from today.

Veni Vidi Vici !

Last edited by Rainmaker-LBC; 01-26-2019 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry the Landlord (04-20-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunder Mountain Chopper