Custom Models All custom bikes.

Thunder Mountain Chopper

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A continuing process of improvements and mods

Had my 2007 Firestone for 2 years now and have done quite a few fixes from the previous owner. From replacing the drive pulley on the rear wheel to new pistons/rings and boring the cylinders out .005". The engine is a Jim's 120 with a Jim's 6-speed transmission. The most noticeable visual change is dumping the Supertrap exhaust for Vance and Hines Big Radius for the "cool" factor. Before the new pistons it was dyno-tuned. Output was 100 Hp with 120 ft/lbs torque. Oh, also changed the cams from the EPA cam to a SE 266E cam. Sure made a difference! Oh, and I had a custom seat made. Great improvement! I'd be willing to sell my factory seat if anyone is interested. It will fit both the Firestone and Keystone.

My next project(s) are a second set of new handlebars and fixing a couple paint chips in the rear fender and tank. The original drag bars for this bike were made by Carlini Design and the chrome was failing . No knock on Carlini as they were 10 years old and chrome plating then was quite a bit less reliable than it is today. California EPA plays hell with platers in this state. To make a long story short, the new identical Fubar design by Carlini is what I used. The problem I'm having is my riding position is sitting forward in a more aggressive posture. I've seen (and posted in an earlier in this thread), handlebars with more rise and pullback allowing for a more ergonomic and up right seating posture. I believe this will relieve a severe pain I have in my right shoulder from riding. So far I've seen 3 handlebar designs that were offered on these Firestones and Keystones. Carlini made the short drag bars called the Fubar, the more swept back design called the "Slickback", Arlen Ness's Ram bar, and another "H" pattern bar I cannot identify. The Carlini is a 1-1/2" diameter bar, the Arlen Ness is a 1-1/4" diameter bar, and the mystery bar I cannot identify. I have searched high and low and cannot find anything close other than one From BR Customs. If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate the tip so I can make a good decision on my choice. I've posted some pictures showing the different bars for those interested.

Carlini Designs Fubar: http://www.carlinidesign.com/Handleb...flat-spot.html

Carlini Designs Slickback: http://www.carlinidesign.com/Handleb...ck-chrome.html

Arlen Ness Ram Bar: http://www.arlenness.com/prodcat/Handle7.asp

Mystery design:

Given the specs, I like the thicker bar so the Arlen Ness is out and probably the "Mystery design" as I suppose it is also a thinner profile. I like the thicker, beefier design of the Carlini Design. The Carlini Slickback has a rise of 7" and a pull back of 15" (one inch higher and eight inches further back than the Fubar). It would be nice to have another couple inches of rise but I can't find risers for 1-1/2" bars. It's one of those things you never know until they're installed.

Jessica

Can you see why I named her Jessica?

Old 06-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate
Default Handlebars

Originally Posted by Paleface

Paleface,
I believe those bars are the Carlini Design "Slickback"... How do you like them ?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rainmaker-LBC
Paleface,
I believe those bars are the Carlini Design "Slickback"... How do you like them ?
I do like your bars but unsure if they are the Carlini Slickback and I'll tell you why. Our bikes have a hydraulic clutch and to fit on the handlebars there needs to be a flat spot on the bar so the hydraulic reservoir will slide over. This requires a flat spot on both sides (obviously since we have a hydraulic reservoir on both sides. Also, if you look closely, the Slickback is made from 5 separate pieces of material. Look closely at the picture in the Carlini website. There are the two upright pieces, then they weld on the cross bar, then weld on the two handlebars.
From what I see in yours, the upright pieces fastened to your triple tree is continuous all the way up so yours are made from three pieces of material. Can you take a picture of your bars from the front and post it so I can see?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM
Rainmaker-LBC
Intermediate

Another idea I had was to install risers. Not as clean as replacing and not as much pullback but definitely less expensive. Ultimately I'm afraid to say it looks like custom made bars are going to be the solution. I'm not having much luck finding a reasonable solution other than the most costly being the only choice.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Paleface
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainmaker-LBC
Another idea I had was to install risers. Not as clean as replacing and not as much pullback but definitely less expensive. Ultimately I'm afraid to say it looks like custom made bars are going to be the solution. I'm not having much luck finding a reasonable solution other than the most costly being the only choice.
​​​​​​​Sorry Rainmaker haven't been here in a while those look like my bars in your pic. I put 3" risers on it resently. So far I like em!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Paleface
Intermediate

I'll get better pics for you.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Paleface
Intermediate
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Friend of mine had a TMC Fatboy years ago (R.I.P.) It was a really nice dependable bike and he wasn't afraid of putting in some long miles on it.

Only pic I can find of it but that's it with the guy digging in his bag. He loved digging through that bag lol.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 08-13-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Glenn Lessard
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat search

I have a 2007 Keystone. Looking for a seat. Lost when suction cups broke while trailering. Anyone have an extra willing to sell? Or an idea of who may make one? Thanks.
​​​​​​​985-507-2420

Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 AM
Paleface
Intermediate

Amazon Amazon
This is the one I used until my sissy bar was finished.

Quick Reply: Thunder Mountain Chopper