Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Custom Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/custom-models-12/)
-   -   Thunder Mountain Chopper (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/custom-models/564867-thunder-mountain-chopper.html)

qfactor 09-20-2010 06:58 PM

Thunder Mountain Chopper

Hey folks. New here so don't be offended by my ignorance. I own a 2009 Thunder Mountain Keystone. I love this bike. For me - it has it all: looks, speed, big fat tire, lots of chrome, and best of all, the heart and soul of HD. I know many of you may not feel that this is a real HD, but I mean to tell you - the way this baby is built - it screams HD quality and reliability all the way down the road.

My reason for being here is that I do not see a lot of chatter about these bikes. I know the company went out of business. Yeah, they didn't know too much about economics, but they did build some gorgeous machines before they left. All with mostly HD parts! Mine has the Screamin' Eagle 110, Baker six speed, all HD controls wiring, lights, brakes, and instruments, all posted to a super stretch gloriously painted custom frame that is so well balanced, it nearly stands up by itself. I know I have heard some bad stuff about these bikes, but then how many people are actually posting threads to the forum when everything is working great?

I’d like to get some honest intel on these machines, the company, and who is riding these. Perhaps get some chatter going so we can help one another with questions, information, etc. I know I have lots of questions about my bike and would like to share them with some other folks who own the Thunder Mountain products.

So – is anyone out there riding a Thunder Mountain? I’d like to talk with you. Good or bad news. Send a note, post a thread. I’ll be in touch.

Thanks for reading and ride safe.

brihvac 09-28-2010 06:01 AM

Im actually looking into buying another bike and there is a 2006 Thunder Mountain Keystone with 5000miles, I have been looking at. He wants $17K for it. I offered him $16K and he turned it down. Im not gonna pay more than 16. I can get a nice Deuce or something and have plenty left over.

qfactor 10-02-2010 03:31 PM

Agreed - probably too much. Still, that is pretty low mileage for something that age. I got over 5K on mine and only had it a year.

langwilliams 10-02-2010 10:34 PM

I saw a nice 08 rocker with some pipes an chrome an tune on craigslist for 16K. Wish I had 16K to play with myself.

Bill Phillips 10-03-2010 07:47 PM

2007 Thunder Mountain Keystone

I own a 2007 Thunder Mountain Custom Cycle Keystone, and rode it to Wendover, Utah from Annapolis, Maryland. I raced it on the Bonneville Salt Flats' one mile course, and achieved membership into the 130mph Club in September of 2009. Then rode her back to Annapolis, Maryland. I rode out again this year, but failed tech inspection for having the wrong speed rating on my front tire for the 150 mph Club. My fault, I check my rear tire only for the V rating, and assumed the front was a V rated tire. My Keystone which I purchased New from our Dealership has over 22,000 hard miles on it. For Bonneville's World of Speed 2011, I'll be running Harley's New 120R Race Engine, and AVON's V rated tires. These motorcycles were built to be ridden, not trailered. My first T.M.C.C. was a 2005 Blackhawk 240, which I rode to San Diego, California from Annapolis, Maryland in 56 hours actual riding time with my old Service Manager, Mike Dolinger, and Parts Counterman, Harry Klein WITHOUT A CHASE TRUCK. I wanted to prove to my Customers the duribility of the product. All of the people that ever said anything bad about to the product to our TEAM and I, when asked if they owed one or rode one, they said no, they were told by a friend.
Bill Phillips
General Manager
Harley-Davidson of Annapolis
410-263-3345

My reason for being here is that I do not see a lot of chatter about these bikes. I know the company went out of business. Yeah, they didn't know too much about economics, but they did build some gorgeous machines before they left. All with mostly HD parts! Mine has the Screamin' Eagle 110, Baker six speed, all HD controls wiring, lights, brakes, and instruments, all posted to a super stretch gloriously painted custom frame that is so well balanced, it nearly stands up by itself. I know I have heard some bad stuff about these bikes, but then how many people are actually posting threads to the forum when everything is working great?

I’d like to get some honest intel on these machines, the company, and who is riding these. Perhaps get some chatter going so we can help one another with questions, information, etc. I know I have lots of questions about my bike and would like to share them with some other folks who own the Thunder Mountain products.

So – is anyone out there riding a Thunder Mountain? I’d like to talk with you. Good or bad news. Send a note, post a thread. I’ll be in touch.

Thanks for reading and ride safe.[/quote]

mulch63 10-07-2010 10:45 AM

Don't own one but had a custom. If I could I would have purchased a Thunder Mountain but a couple years ago even the used were outragous in price. I like HD parts being used. Awesome bikes from all the feed back I've read over the years. Only thing is I'm not sure on the 110 motor. Has its share of issues. I'd rather the 103CI. The Keystone is definately the best chopper out there. The Ironhorse and Big Dog don't hold a candle to 'em. You should have years of pleasure with yours.

jim

qfactor 06-25-2011 11:37 AM

Yep - still here folks. To date - I have had by Keystone for over a year and a half. I don't ride as often as I would like to, but when I do, it is amazing! I still love this bike. It handles so smooth. Responsive, agile, and it is hard to tell this thing weighs over 600 pounds! It is the most balances bike I have ever ridden.

Right now, maintenance is the biggest issue – not because it is difficult or anything. In fact, everything I have done is amazingly easy. Plus this thing has never let me down, never broken down, and never acted up. The hardest part is finding maintenance information. Since the company is out of business, and I have no owner’s manual, I have to figure it all out myself. Thank goodness it is mostly Harley parts – that makes it much easier when trying to figure out what to do.

I had to call Baker to get the specs for the transmission – needed to change oil and could not figure out how much to put in. They were awesome, knew exactly which tranny I was talking about and gave me the specs.

I think the only issue I have had is the electronic fuel gauge – it doesn’t register at the moment. I just need to get to my local Harley Dealer and have them replace it.

I replace the big 300 on the rear. Not too pricey, and all in all, it was pretty easy to put the wheel assembly back on after I had my dealer mount the tire for me.

Still looking for others with one of these bikes. Would love to chat – form a group – web page, etc.

Ride Safe!

Mr. Lucky 06-25-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by langwilliams (Post 7363840)
Wish I had 16K to play with myself.

You can play with yourself for free :icon_fryingpan:

Jebnighttrain 07-07-2011 02:45 AM

interesting thread and fact not many here have one of these bikes.

pjb 07-08-2011 07:57 AM

the price is what I couldn't understand. At least $10k more than a similar chopper from AIH or BD. The Thunder Mountain did have some neat features, like the hidden backrest mounts and such. Maybe now that the prices on bikes has tanked you could get a decent price on a used one.