Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

meguaires tech 2.0 or their ultama wax

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:42 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Default meguaires tech 2.0 or their ultama wax

what to use ? i've been using the tech 2.0 for a couple of years now ,but it looks like the ultama wax may be a better wax. what do you guys and gals think ?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:59 PM
nebraider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither, but it depends if it's "good enough" for you.
Just like bike parts, cleaners/waxes/sealants come in a variety of ways from A-Z.
Things to consider... How you will apply it.... Then go from there.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:25 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I also say neither. But I am biased towards Adams Polishes. I just don't feel the stuff you can pick up at autozone is as good. I like a good paste that I can apply to the whole bike or car and that easily removes with hardly any effort. I use Adams Americana.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 AM
JerEazy
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Kind of a double answer. Tech 2.0 is a sealant. Ultimate is a wax. I actually really like both and use both.

After a good wash and blow - I dry the bike (haha). Seriously though - dry it and then let it drip dry in the garage for a whilet if you can. One stray drop of water can ruin a wax job.

I then put on the tech 2.0 and while that's getting happy I take that time to polish the chrome, clean the windshield and dash and other detail actions. Then I remove the tech 2.0 completely and follow it up with a coat of ultimate applying and removing one section at a time.

Sealant is a great protectant, but doesn't really give a good shine. Wax gives a nice shine.

FWIW I really like griot's garage entire line of products - great stuff - give their site a viewing for some tips.

Last edited by JerEazy; 01-31-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JerEazy
Kind of a double answer. Tech 2.0 is a sealant. Ultimate is a wax.
That's what I was going to say.

You really need to read up on what your using and what it's intended purpose is, if you just go to the detail section and grab the prettiest bottle it might not be what you think it is.

I agree with the others that also said the car part store brand detailers are only okay. I never use to and it showed after a while.

I got hooked on "Chemical guys" products, they go on smooth and come off easy. Once a year I use their polish cutter, then a finishing polish and then their wax. Normally with a buffer. It brought my 2010 paint back to life like new.

Check out some youtube vids on their products, I buy all mine through amazon.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 PM
JerEazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
That's what I was going to say.

You really need to read up on what your using and what it's intended purpose is, if you just go to the detail section and grab the prettiest bottle it might not be what you think it is.

I agree with the others that also said the car part store brand detailers are only okay. I never use to and it showed after a while.

I got hooked on "Chemical guys" products, they go on smooth and come off easy. Once a year I use their polish cutter, then a finishing polish and then their wax. Normally with a buffer. It brought my 2010 paint back to life like new.

Check out some youtube vids on their products, I buy all mine through amazon.
ha! Funny you mention chemical guys - I just ordered a few of small size of their "motorcycle" specific products (leather cleaner, wax, helmet cleaner which I think will be good for the windshield) and they seem reasonably priced if they work as advertised.

Griots Garage stuff is my go to. Amzing quality across the board. But it costs. Shurhold makes great products as well.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

ha! Funny you mention chemical guys - I just ordered a few of small size of their "motorcycle" specific products (leather cleaner, wax, helmet cleaner which I think will be good for the windshield) and they seem reasonably priced if they work as advertised.

Griots Garage stuff is my go to. Amzing quality across the board. But it costs. Shurhold makes great products as well.
Some of the chemical guys products are expensive, their 8 oz can of Innovate Paste Wax is $2499. Who pays $2500 for 8 oz of wax?
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Innovate...FcSCswodzLcNoA

Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM
JerEazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRMN8TR
I heard really good things about their products. And a lot of people swear by them. But I bought a bottle of that once for my boat - it separated into water and clumps in the garage - Tossed it out and never looked back.

I still say a coat of sealant and then wax (or multiples of both) is the best way to go. Make sure you do the sealant first though. And remove all wax before applying the sealant.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Kind of a double answer. Tech 2.0 is a sealant. Ultimate is a wax. I actually really like both and use both.

After a good wash and blow - I dry the bike (haha). Seriously though - dry it and then let it drip dry in the garage for a whilet if you can. One stray drop of water can ruin a wax job.

I then put on the tech 2.0 and while that's getting happy I take that time to polish the chrome, clean the windshield and dash and other detail actions. Then I remove the tech 2.0 completely and follow it up with a coat of ultimate applying and removing one section at a time.

Sealant is a great protectant, but doesn't really give a good shine. Wax gives a nice shine.

FWIW I really like griot's garage entire line of products - great stuff - give their site a viewing for some tips.
i called the meguries tech line and they told me that the ultimate wax is really a sealant, not a wax. they said it is the upgrade to the tech 2.0 . after researching this i found it to be true. the ultimate wax contains no wax.
i do agree on applying sealant before a wax (if really using a wax) and layering the sealant or wax. multiple coats really looks good. i've tried every wax out there over the years and the tech 2.0 still seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by hardheaded; 02-10-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: meguaires tech 2.0 or their ultama wax