Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Shiny tires?

Old 05-01-2006, 10:44 PM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shiny tires?

So I've read the past posts with reguards to armor alling tires. And I get the slippery factor. Not good. But what about just the ribbed area next to the rim? Seems like it would be o.k. If I'm leaning my bike that hard in the corners It would be too late anyway. It just looks awfully nice when it's done.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Shiny tires?

I was told that Armor All, or any other tire shine products are not good for HD tires. If you have white walls, you can use Bleche White for it.

ORIGINAL: dastark

So I've read the past posts with reguards to armor alling tires. And I get the slippery factor. Not good. But what about just the ribbed area next to the rim? Seems like it would be o.k. If I'm leaning my bike that hard in the corners It would be too late anyway. It just looks awfully nice when it's done.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dastark

The problem with doing even just part of the sidewalls is that most of these products are petroleum based and as such will liquify in the heat and can run down to where the tire meets the road.

H-D offers a Tire Protectant . Never used it but I would think it would be safer than Armor-All.

A little history lesson: In the old days (pre-Armor-All) the lowriders used to use good ol' Coca Cola to make the tires shine. Kind of old school but supposedly did the trick.

Primo

Old 05-26-2006, 11:09 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that sugar in water will work, but I have never tried it. I don't worry about it on the bike.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
3Dog
Tourer

On the sidewalls use a water based dressing....it will normally be a milky white color.
It should be applied with a sponge, not sprayed on.
I have used H-D tire protectant...it darkens well but not what I would call shiney.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

I bought harley's tire cleaner saturday. and it SUCKED!!! I mean way to much work, to hard I would rather have dirty tire's!! unless I am doing something wrong!

Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
MaDmAn$06SpOrTy
Advanced

diluted simple green cleans tire sidewalls pretty good. and i mean diluted, not get it on allumium, just rinse thoroughly. it may not shine but it does clean well.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

ive used Stoner tire shine with no problems ever (on my work Road King)... im just careful to put a light shine on the sidewalls- and believe me, ive ridden ALOT of miles like that.

ive used the same product on my Warrior (ME880's) with no problems as well.

however, im not sure if ill dress the white walls on my RKC... maybe ill scrub them tonight and see how it looks.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Pakrat
Intermediate

I took my 07 FLSTC in today for the first service, They jumped me about using armor all on my tires. They said it almost fell off the rack. I didnt bother to tell them that it wasnt armor all but another product called Blue Dressing . It dries and doesnt leave the tire wet like armor all does. I think they were yanking my chain about fallen off the rack. I only put it on the sides of the tires not on the part where the rubber meets the road. I have never had any problems with this dressing because it dries and makes the tires black like new.

Pakrat

Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 PM
3Dog
Tourer

Rule of thumb is:
A white milky color will be a water-based dressing.
A clear color will be a silicon/petrolium/oil based dressing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shiny tires?