Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detailing-27/)
-   -   How often do you wax and polish? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/detailing/12976-how-often-do-you-wax-and-polish.html)

scooterbooter 10-28-2005 10:13 PM

How often do you wax and polish?

I washed my baby for the first time tonight. She looks lurvely :), but alas, I'm a lazy ho, and while I took great care in waxing all the painted parts and using a metal polish on all the chrome and polished aluminum. I'm flaming well not doing that lark every time I wash her. ;) It took forever!

So, how often do you have to go through the whole malarky of waxing and polishing?

And what do y'all do in between for a quickie clean sesh?

kmallein 10-30-2005 06:58 PM

RE: How often do you wax and polish?

For the in between clean up I use something called Speed Shine, its from Griots garage. If its dirty enough to wash it I always wax it and do the chrome polish. During riding season I wash and wax at least 3 times a month. I just did all that today to put her away for the winter and it took me 5 hours.

scooterbooter 10-30-2005 10:37 PM

5 hours?

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Oh there must be an easier way, I can't believe everyone spends hours cleaning a bike.....[sm=smiley19.gif]

harleyboy63401 10-31-2005 04:09 AM

I do mine before winter storage even though I may still get it out if the weather permits. Then I generally do it before and after long road trips during the riding season. Between washings I use Eagle 1 Wet (wipe and shine). I generally wash mine once a week or so depending on weather and riding conditions. Keep in mind that I have 2 to take care of as the wife cleans the house, I clean the vehicles! In my opinion there is no need to wax or polish every time you wash unless maybe you store your bike outside.
If I spent 5 or 6 hours every week waxing and polishing I wouldn't get my riding time in. I like a clean bike like every one else but enjoy riding much more.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy the Ride!!

sporty2003 10-31-2005 12:49 PM

i do mine every weekend first thing in the morning while my lady is sleeping in she works nights then its good i polish everything that is chrome or painted including the wheels it takes about two hours . i have found the more wax jobs the less buggs stick to it. and i ride day & night out in the boone docks where ever the roads take me .

83ironhead 11-01-2005 02:50 AM

i have an older bike and it doesnt look that good but i try to wash it at least once a month and polish at the same time. right now it looks crappy cause its been rainin for the past week and i just keep on ridin. oh well. as long as theres oil and gas in it, ill ride it and dont care what anyone thinks of me ridin a dirty bike. i guess its kinda along the same lines as you see those guys with jacked up trucks, nice rims and all, but ya never see the least bit of mud on them. we know who the real riders are. just my opinion. who wants to waste 5 hours cleanin your bike when that time could be spent goin down a road ya never went down before. [sm=gears.gif]
shine on you crazy diamond......shine on!!!!!

kmallein 11-04-2005 11:30 PM

Hmmm the real riders............ Now thats funny right there I dont care who ya are...... I dont see it as a waste of time, thats all I got is time. But to make sure its clean for storage in my opinion since we are throwing them around isnt a waste its taking care of it. I ride when I feel like it, it doesnt make anyone better than anyone else just because you do or do not wash your bike or you ride in the rain. I guess if we were all 1%'ers we wouldnt be postin here either........ Good for you you ride in the rain and dont wash it and you dont care....... Along the same lines I dont care who thinks 5 hours is a waste or " who the real riders are " thats a joke......... If i remember the post was about how often you wash and wax not who rides in what weather or if your a real rider........... So ride on you drown rat ride on

JamieWG 11-05-2005 09:02 AM

I clean my DWG after every ride. I use Honda chrome polish and HD S100. Only takes about 15 minutes. If you can get in the habit of cleaning it up as soon as you get home, it makes the job a lot easier because all the bugs, road grit, etc are still soft.

Gooch 02-04-2006 05:47 PM

I wash mine every weekend riding season. Wax every other. California duster daily. Wash every time after rain stops, when the weatherman is wrong and I got caught out in it.

3Dog 02-05-2006 01:45 AM

Wash when "you" feel it needs it. Wax after that if you want. Spray waxes would make that easier. DO NOT polish unless it needs it. You polish to enhance clarity in the paint...to do that you smooth the paint......smoothing will subtract from what you have. So, depending on the abrasives of the polish as to how much, you are thinning what you have. Polishing twice a year would be about normal..could get by with once on garage kept and no thigh squeezing the tank.
Also @ HOGtailing..if we do a complete detail it would not be uncommon to have 6 man hours in it.