Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Water spots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots!!!!

How the FACK do I get the water spots off of my denim black paint??

Old 10-15-2009, 04:54 PM
gaffney
Advanced

How did you get them?

After washing with mild dish soap and rinsing with cold water, I toweled mine off and had no spots.

If you are talking about rain spots, just use Windex to clean the bike off. This always works for me.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I use the Eagle 1 Spray mist detailer or similiar detailer spray. Works great. Spray on, wipe off and no spots or streaks. I've tried Windex. It leaves sort of a dull, faded, stripped finish. A spray detailer gives it a more of a rich satin finish which I prefer. I love the flat black look, but don't want it to look like its been sitting in the sun for 50 years.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
DarkTrak
Road Master

I have no idea how I got them but NOTHING takes them off....

Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
gaffney
Advanced

I'm assuming that when you say nothing, you mean you've tried Windex along with a few other non-wax cleaners as well as mild dish soap. If this is the case, I'm not sure what you could try other than the detailing spray deadeye mentioned.

Maybe it's a paint defect. Did you buy the bike new or at least from a dealer? If so, contact your dealer and see what they say. Maybe they have some suggestions to try or maybe they'll offer to send the tins back for Harley to fix/replace if it is a defect.

The beauty of the black denim paint is that there are plenty of off the shelf paints that match it very well. As a last resort, you could pull the tins and repaint during the off season.

Last edited by gaffney; 10-15-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

water spots usually come from tap water left on paint that has sun dried...

on autos I have found that McGuires clay bar will remove all but the worst. But that said I'am not sure about the denim paint. Its use clay and comes with a spray that has to be use as a lubericant. I would find a small area under seat or somewhere out of sight to try it on......

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
water spots usually come from tap water left on paint that has sun dried...

on autos I have found that McGuires clay bar will remove all but the worst. But that said I'am not sure about the denim paint. Its use clay and comes with a spray that has to be use as a lubericant. I would find a small area under seat or somewhere out of sight to try it on......
As a paint guy do not use the the quick detail that comes with the clay bar. It is a wax based product and this will wreck your denim paint!!! You can pick up a clay bar without the Quick Detailer. The reason they use it is for luberication to protect the clear coat and not create swirl marks.

To get rid of the water spots mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar with 2 gallons distilled water and 8 oz of good car wash soap. Do not use dish soap as this ruins all types of paint. Use a good microfiber and then rinse back down with distilled or filtered water. Do this in the shade and not under full sun!

If the future be very careful about washing your bike in the sun. If you are in an area with hard water you will want to do it in full shade so you have time to get the water off before it drys or keep adding vinegar to your water at a lower mix.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

white vinegar...I use good old house hold white vinegar on a cloth to remove water spot on my water craft...works like magic s it wouldn't work for youo I see no reason why

Old 10-15-2009, 11:20 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Good info cdaddy. thats why I added a warning.... I've read the denim paint it totally diff.

I've used the clay on my vivid black and it took out most all of the little swirls on the tank, even better than the HD swirl remover that I think is pretty good stuff.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct1949
Good info cdaddy. thats why I added a warning.... I've read the denim paint it totally diff.

I've used the clay on my vivid black and it took out most all of the little swirls on the tank, even better than the HD swirl remover that I think is pretty good stuff.

No doubt. I clay my bike about every 6 months and do a full 4 stage wax. Meguiars is some of the best stuff out there!!! I have parts of my bike that are vivid black and nothing works like the Meguiars swirl remover.

Quick Reply: Water spots!!!!