Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

How many coats of clearcoat over big metal flake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadetree Prez
you need to speak to the store manager and tell him the situation. you should at minimum get a discount on the purchase if not get it free.
He is apologizing his **** off, telling me he knows how much it has messed me up. Taking a week to get it puts me over a week late, as the painter had worked me in between jobs, and it messed his schedule up as well. Such is life, but man I hope it gets wrapped up soon. I am ready to ride, that's for sure.

Thanx, RD.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

They re-ordered it, said if they get stuck with an extra can it's OK. 8 days now, still no flake. Manager is out of town for regional meeting. Painter heading to Myrtle Beach this weekend for vacation. So unless it comes in on Wednesday (as expected, not that that means a damn thing!) and he can paint it by Friday, things don't look promising. Unfreaking believable.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Shadetree Prez
Intermediate

please tell me you are either getting this paint for free or the extra can is free or the store manager is gonna play "gimp" for you or SOMETHING?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I am going to try. Today they said they had confirmation from Fed-Ex that it was on the way. I have called around and no one has the flake in stock. It is just ridiculous now. I have never seen such BS in my life over a 6 oz can of flake. I will never order anything form this place again. OK, MAYBE if they give me the flake, lol. But it has cost me a lot of time off the bike, and that sucks in this great weather.

Thanx, RD.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Flake came in, I picked it up 15 minutes later. They apologized and even followed me to the door. The manager is out for the week, so I didn't even ask about discounts. I just want to get this over with.

Painter has it all, but he is leaving for Myrtle Beach for a week in 18 hours, and he hasn't packed. He is riding his bagger down to the beach for the July 4th weekend, staying gone til a week from Sunday, about 9 days or so. Lucky bastard, lmao.

He has a partner who is probably going to paint it while he is gone. I don't know the partner, but my buddy says he is as good as he is, and knows how to do the flake/dbc 500 mix, as well as the other steps.

Wish me luck guyz. I am so disgusted it isn't funny anymore. I think this evening I will put the intake and carb back on the bike, maybe touch up the frame with rattle-can black. Go ahead and change the oil as well. That way there will be as few things to stop me from getting back on the road once I get the painted tins back.

Note to others: NEVER TAKE A BIKE OFF THE ROAD IN SUMMER DURING PRIME RIDING SEASON FOR NON-ESSENTIAL REPAIR or ELECTIVE WORK!

Once I get back on the road, I don't plan to touch this bike other than riding it, and checking/changing the oil til winter.

Wish me luck guyz, this nightmare may be on the way to a happy ending.

Now I have to decide if I want any markers/decals on the tank. Right now I am not worried about it. I just want to hear the motor run, and straddle that seat. Old lady is off for the weekend, we may just take a trip somewhere. But that may be wishful thinking, since the painter just got the tins an hour ago, lmao.

Thanx for the advice and help. I have learned a lot, and all of it wasn't bad.

Randy D.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

His partner is going to paint it, supposed to be back by Monday evening or Tuesday. I can hardly wait! The $150 isn't bad at all. I plan to meet the new painter and ask him to final sand the clear with what, 1400 grit? And buff it. I am just so disgusted, it isn't funny. Not gonna put any signals back on it. Looking at a light on e-bay that incorporates turn signals into the brake light, it looks cool as hell.

I still haven't put the intake and carb back on, nor touched up the paint on the frame, or painted the license plate bracket. Been cutting wood trying to make some money since I am unemployed. I better hurry up or the wait will be on me, and that won't make sense as long as I have had.

Wish me luck, even offer a prayer for me. I sure need it.

Thanks, RD.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Shadetree Prez
Intermediate

you wont have to tell him the grit, he will know, just let him know you want him to wet sand and buff it when its done. for your reference though, typically you start with 1000 then go to 1500, for something that is a show piece or if you are boyd or chip you would go to 2000 then buff with a 3M polishing compound. then wipe off with a cloth diaper or high thread count egyptian cotton rags.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadetree Prez
you wont have to tell him the grit, he will know, just let him know you want him to wet sand and buff it when its done. for your reference though, typically you start with 1000 then go to 1500, for something that is a show piece or if you are boyd or chip you would go to 2000 then buff with a 3M polishing compound. then wipe off with a cloth diaper or high thread count egyptian cotton rags.
kiwi shoe polishing clothes work great so long as they are new and clean

Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

His partner kept it for a week and never touched it. My buddy got back from the beach on Sunday, and it was all painted by Monday evening. Beautiful, the color is a bit different, better than I expected.

There is a big run, he calls it a sag, on the side, visible at the bottom. He said it was no problem, wait til it hardens for a week or two, and he has a stone he can rub it out with. Said it was not an issue, he has been doing this for over 20 years, and it will only take a half hour or so and it will be gone, with no traces. I believe him, he does this for a living and has a great reputation.

To be honest, I am having difficulty putting it back together. All the grommets and bushings in the rear fender were out, it was hell to figure out what went where. It has been two months, and there are a million pieces and wires. I had to walk away a few times, but that is better than tearing something up. I do admit I have a bad temper, a very bad one. Lots of bolts have been moved, kicked around, my fault. I have been so disgusted with this and I should have kept things organized. I will get it this week, a little at a time, I am dying to ride.

Not to mention it is 95 degrees and nearly 100% humidity. Not the optimum time to work on things outside, even in the shade.

Thanks for the help, I should be back riding soon. I appreciate the advice, and the help I have gotten. Not to mention I have aired my frustrations, lmao.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Shadetree Prez
Intermediate

yep, a sag should be no big deal. you just sand it smooth and buff it out. i know it doesnt help now, but in the future use a sharpie and some ziplock bags to separate and label parts when disassembling something. then you can even tape them to what they go to, or near where they go or whatever.
to help fix your situation now, my advice is test fit bolts to the threads before mocking up parts to avoid having the wrong bolt just as things get lined up and measure the approximate length of where the bolt goes and then measure your bolts. using those two steps in conjunction should eliminate a lot of the sorting.
good luck, post some pics when its all done!

Quick Reply: How many coats of clearcoat over big metal flake?