Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust woes in CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust woes in CA

Hey there,

I tried to find this or related threads, but didn't turn it up. Forgive me if this is an annoying re-post and link me the correct place.

I've got a 2014 Street Bob (my first HD) and I'm not to excited about the stock pipes. I'd like to get these black V&H short shots put on, but I can't find anyone who will put them on for me, due to CA laws.

Anyone know where in the Bay Area I should ask? Or maybe tips on the correct way to ask? I'd rather not drive to NV to get this done.

I would love to just put them on myself (I'm told it's not super difficult), but I live in the city and have absolutely zero workspace and no tools. I need a shop to do it for me.

Thanks folks!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:11 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you checked out any indys in your area?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced

Yeah a few, but I'm striking out. I'll keep at it.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

It sounds like you're ruling out doing it yourself. .is that due to mechanical experience or tools? I've done cam changes, exhausts, shocks, forks etc in public parking lots with not a lot of tools. Just takes planning.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps attending a HOG chapter meeting you may find a member that can help you do the swap in your parking lot or you could ride over to his house one Saturday and he will do it for you. I know if someone approached me, I would try to help them.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced

Yeah I've never done any work on a bike by myself. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but I can just see myself in a parking lot after dark with my hog taken apart. Haha

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Beetroot McKinnley
Advanced

That's a good idea Mr B, I've been meaning to go to one of those anyway. Never been.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Beetroot McKinnley
That's a good idea Mr B, I've been meaning to go to one of those anyway. Never been.
Beetroot,there is this DIY shop in SF its called Motoshop, you pretty much rent the space/tools etc its a nice clean shop with ALL the tools you would need including a lift. although they will not install it themselves but they are willing to lend out a hand if needed, also the forum is a big help in any upcoming projects for you. Installing SS is fairly easy I have them on my 14SB took me 30 mins to install, PM me if you have any questions.

Ps. Dont be afraid to work on your own ride its half of the fun!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be able to get someone to fit them if they have a waver form saying you are not going to ride the bike on public highways. A catalyst model as your is could be an issue though as it may be subject to emissions testing rather than just noise.

Last edited by 4_stroke; 09-22-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
Beetroot,there is this DIY shop in SF its called Motoshop, you pretty much rent the space/tools etc its a nice clean shop with ALL the tools you would need including a lift. although they will not install it themselves but they are willing to lend out a hand if needed, also the forum is a big help in any upcoming projects for you. Installing SS is fairly easy I have them on my 14SB took me 30 mins to install, PM me if you have any questions.

Ps. Dont be afraid to work on your own ride its half of the fun!
I second MotoShop. I have been using them for some time to wrench on my ride and Wilder and crew are top notch and always willing to help. I'm in the same boat as you, I live in Alameda and have very limited garage space to work on my ride.

You can go to their website or call to schedule some lift time, and they have any tool you could need and plenty of space to do any job, also very reasonable rates- probably saved me a couple thousand bucks in labor costs over the last few months. I was just there Saturday rebuilding a fork leg and changing brake pads, and they let me know that they are now working with an experienced Harley mechanic that you can schedule time with who will help you with whatever you're looking to do from start to finish. That way you learn and the next time you can do it yourself. I believe the rate to have someone help is $60/hr, which is far better than any indy you'll find in the area, plus it's fun.

Quick Reply: Exhaust woes in CA