Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep with the Old or get something New?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM
JeepsandHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep with the Old or get something New?

So currently I have a 2000 FXDL that I customized with new fenders, tank, Dakota Digitals, and forward controls. Recently (within past month), I have replaced the regulator/rectifier, plugs/wires, fixed an exhaust leak, and did a carb rebuild (still haven't quite gotten that done right).

Before I did the repairs (partially b/c I knew my bike was not running correctly; just exhaust leak at the time), I had went on a few test rides (Street Glide, Night Rod, Fat Bob). I enjoyed the Night Rod and Fat Bob the best (to my surprise as I was thinking I wanted the Street Glide).

My wife points out that my bike is 14/15 years old now and I should consider getting a new bike. A friend of mine said the newer EFI engines are worth the upgrade. Of course a different friend said if I don't go to the Street Glide, why upgrade...

My issue is that I ride less than 2K per year. Assuming I get my carb tuned correctly, does the EFI offer that much more? Now that I have done all these repairs, should I be fearful of "What next will go wrong?"

So for those whom took the leap, are you glad that you did or do you still yearn for your old bike?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you only ride 2k per year, I would consider keeping your old bike and not have the big investment in a new one. However, on the flip side I've upgraded twice with no regrets... If you have the $ & you are willing to trade up to a new or newer one then go for it. I wish I could keep them all, but sometimes you just have to sacrifice what you have to upgrade.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

After all said and done, sometimes I wish I woulda just kept my '95 Wide Glide. Carbs don't really give issues once they're tuned right.

Assuming your cam chain tensioner has been addressed your bike is pretty bullet proof. Exhaust leaks can happen to any bike. Stuff wears out and if you're only doing 2k a year it isn't a big deal when you have to fix it. If I were doing a lot of miles I'd be more worried about reliability. When something wears out I don't get overly upset anymore I just start buying stuff, fix it, and move on.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 AM
JeepsandHD
Advanced

Can I assume the chain tensioner was addressed if I never had any issues (I've owned the bike for 9 years)?

Technically I have the money, but don't know if it is worth spending it on something that gets so little use. So far you guys are convincing me to keep it.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I was able to do the repairs on my own for around $200. I doubt that will be the case if I upgrade.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Punty
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep it, you seem to be happy with it. FYI a well tuned carb is just as good as EFI don't let them BS you. Besides your bike probably doesn't Run HOT.

Good luck either way
"P"

Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If they wife told me to upgrade i would do it in a heart beat hahah

Old 09-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Punty
FYI a well tuned carb is just as good as EFI don't let them BS you.
This statement is just plain incorrect. It's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of fact that FI is better than a carb setup. You should know your facts before making statements like that.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

2,000 mi/year? Upgrading to ANY new bike is going to be a lot of extra $$ per mile. Will you be smiling that much more, and is it worth it?
I would not get a touring bike for those few miles. Get the night rod or fat bob if you're going new.
Personally I'd keep your FXDL if that's all you ride. Put a little $ into getting the carb fixed up right and ride it. When winter comes and you have a paid for bike sitting in the garage, you'll be smiling a lot more than if you've got a $25,000 garage ornament you're still paying for.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Without a doubt keep your 2000, first it has one of the best motors Harley built, 99 to 02 had Timkin crank bearing and forged bottom end, near bullet proof, no crank runout issues, address the cam tensioners, I went gear drive and never worry about it again, that motor will easily outlast most newer motors.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:08 PM
JeepsandHD
Advanced

Thanks for the input everyone!

I just made an appointment with an indy to have them get the carb in order. Once this is back in proper shape, I am sure I will be thrilled again with my bike. The indy is known for being a little pricey but top quality work, so I should be in good shape in no time.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep with the Old or get something New?