Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sprocket Bolts Loose, One Sheared

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Sprocket Bolts Loose, One Sheared

So I'm riding in to work today, and I come down a hill downtown and start hearing this loud "CLICK... CLICK... CLICK" sound from the right rear, first though was chain or belt, but I still had power to the wheel.

Stopped the bike, looked around a bit and saw that one bolt had backed all the way out, and was slapping the swingarm causing the sound. I was still about 1/2 mile from work so I limped it there, checking every few hundred feet to make sure it wasn't getting worse.

As I pulled into parking lot, The rear wheel locked up, it had backed out more, and was actually starting to hit harder and bend. So I pulled into the closest spot and got off to look. It was completely sheared, as soon as I spun the wheel and pulled on it, it fell out.

I checked the other bolts, and they are loose, as in, the washers spin freely under them, but they won't pull out by hand. Are these bolts likely sheered within, and just hanging by a thread? Or could they just be tightened enough to get the bike home (about 15 miles).

I know a lot of people on here replace this / fix it on their own, but I have almost no experience with working on bikes, and I'm still learning. Is replacing these bolts something that can be done without removing the wheel?

Also, I know most people say to use grade 8 bolts when replacing, will this actually stop them from backing out? rather than just making them harder to sheer off completely?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 AM
crash_override65
Cruiser

Here's a pic of the one bolt that pulled out.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Sprocket Bolts Loose, One Sheared-20140924_073341.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd call on friends or pay to get it towed either to a shop or home. Has the pulley ever been removed from the bike? My understanding is once installed properly the bolts don't just back out on their own.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It's common! How many times are you told to check fasteners?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ley-bolts.html

Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

IT IS common, especially on 06 i think,

Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. Funny thing is I HAVE read the threads about this problem back when I bought the bike, and I generally check them once every week or 2, just to make sure they are tight. This gave next to no warning at all.

I'm giving my indie mech a call here in a few to see what they can do. In fact I just hand checked them for tightness this last Friday, not 5 days ago.

Last edited by crash_override65; 09-24-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the refresher on this common problem. Im going to start keeping a closer eye on mine and add a wrench to my road kit. Those bolts are a one time shot... Has me wondering if yours have ever reused? Just curious, I know the problem exsists even on factory assemblies

Last edited by ynots; 09-24-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ynots
Thanks for the refresher on this common problem. Im going to start keeping a closer eye on mine and add a wrench to my road kit. Those bolts are a one time shot... Has me wondering if yours have ever reused? Just curious, I know the problem exsists even on factory assemblies
I had the rear tire replaced by an indie a couple months back. Not sure if they had the pulley off.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The bolts supposed to be one time use, I change them every time I swap rear tire. I check my pulley bolts 3 times in 8 months riding season. Trust me, they do come loose even you proper torque them with loctite.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Tat2dale
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Proper torque with Loctite. Or you can safety wire them on for peace of mind.
I have never had this problem or have known anyone to have this problem, so to me it is not a common problem.

Quick Reply: Rear Sprocket Bolts Loose, One Sheared