Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 57h cam install best mod by far to date

Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Andrews 57h cam install best mod by far to date

Had about a week with these in. Only got about 300 miles on with them so far but , damn bike just keeps pulling the more you give. Idle sounds good, not overly noisy, overall seem perfect for stock 103 compression. I need to get tune dialed in as these need timing retarded in cruising area. Little headwork this winter and dyno this spring to get tuned more refined. Only decision now is heavier valve springs while heads getting port/polish worth messing with? Can't be any happier until vtune 3 releases.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

I've been thinking I'd like to have that very cam in my bike; I'll bet that does put some mustard on the take off now

What's this talk about the heads, what's the scoop on the rest of the engine changes you got coming up?

Old 09-27-2014, 10:25 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I've been thinking I'd like to have that very cam in my bike; I'll bet that does put some mustard on the take off now

What's this talk about the heads, what's the scoop on the rest of the engine changes you got coming up?
Just little port,polish, maybe valve springs. Andrews doesn't advise running 57 more than 10:1 so no 107 kit for now. I have a full sleeve to get done yet and other stuff so headwork will be it for now and I'll put in the axtell oil bypass. Expect 100/100+ after headwork so that should keep me at bay for a while.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Just little port,polish, maybe valve springs. Andrews doesn't advise running 57 more than 10:1 so no 107 kit for now. I have a full sleeve to get done yet and other stuff so headwork will be it for now and I'll put in the axtell oil bypass. Expect 100/100+ after headwork so that should keep me at bay for a while.
I wouldn't hesitate to run it a tad over 10:1. You're taking it apart, I'd go ahead and do the 107 with flat tops, set it around 10.25:1. That'll be 200psi ccp, same as stock 103, perfect. Leave the valve springs, those cams are a bolt in designed to run with stock late model springs. Anything heavier is just unnecessary noise and valvetrain abuse. Have a street port done on the heads with a 1.9 intake valve and I'd have the throttle body bored. That's a budget ripper.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

You would have to post that. I put mine 57H's up for sale. I know they are good cams but I just have had too many non-stop expenses rolling in. I am reconsidering.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
I wouldn't hesitate to run it a tad over 10:1. You're taking it apart, I'd go ahead and do the 107 with flat tops, set it around 10.25:1. That'll be 200psi ccp, same as stock 103, perfect. Leave the valve springs, those cams are a bolt in designed to run with stock late model springs. Anything heavier is just unnecessary noise and valvetrain abuse. Have a street port done on the heads with a 1.9 intake valve and I'd have the throttle body bored. That's a budget ripper.
I have all winter so depending on funds I will re evaluate a 107. I can get a kit from axtell or hyperformance and take jugs there for boring for around 600-700. I'll inquire about tb as well. 50mm I would think should be enough. I believe my stock 103 tb is 46.

Originally Posted by atrox88
You would have to post that. I put mine 57H's up for sale. I know they are good cams but I just have had too many non-stop expenses rolling in. I am reconsidering.
I am right there with ya. Thats why I got them in when I could and now I got the winter coming up for future work. If you have everything else you need then you can pick some up again later or put them in and don't think twice about it.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 57H is a good cam choice. I just did Wood 5-6 cams in my FXDF and it's a beast from 2,200 up.
Andrews 57H and Wood 5-6 have very similar specs, with the 57H having very lightly longer durations & the 5-6 slightly more lift, but outcome is really close.

Just to give you an idea....I'm running a Big Sucker, Bobcat & 5-6 cams & I made 90/103 on the dyno after my dyno tune....stock heads, stock compression. If you get a port/polish done also you should be close to 100hp & 105-110tq. If you're gonna have your heads done anyway, go with .030 head gaskets...will give you slightly more compression & help out a little.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

What kind of seat of the pants feel are you getting out of your cammers?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
The 57H is a good cam choice. I just did Wood 5-6 cams in my FXDF and it's a beast from 2,200 up.
Andrews 57H and Wood 5-6 have very similar specs, with the 57H having very lightly longer durations & the 5-6 slightly more lift, but outcome is really close.

Just to give you an idea....I'm running a Big Sucker, Bobcat & 5-6 cams & I made 90/103 on the dyno after my dyno tune....stock heads, stock compression. If you get a port/polish done also you should be close to 100hp & 105-110tq. If you're gonna have your heads done anyway, go with .030 head gaskets...will give you slightly more compression & help out a little.
That's my goal. With the TTS and the right dyno tuner I should do well. TTS tends to always yield better #'s. Hard thing around my parts I'd to find a tuner proficient with the TTS software and will spend the proper time with it. I may go 107 but on the fence budget wise.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by atrox88
What kind of seat of the pants feel are you getting out of your cammers?
All I can say without tune finished that its got a lot more ***** and doesn't fall on its face. Hit 90 in third around 5k and still was pulling before shift and I let off from there. Biggest notice is no lag or hesitation getting from low rpm @ 55 for example and hitting a good hill it just keeps pulling the more I give. Same with 6th but haven't done much lugging as I am still working on timing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Andrews 57h cam install best mod by far to date