Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts
Default V&H Fuelpak

Hi:

Is anybody using the V&H Fuelpak? The parts guy at the dealer said that this unit could damage the ECM. I've read about some blown fuses, but nothing serious. Anybody heard anything else? Oh, they wanted $900 to dyno test my bike. I thanked him and left.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you probably already realize this but the guy at the parts counter is a lying sack of excrement. It's one thing for HD employees to be forbidden from commenting in a positive manner about any non-HD parts you want to use, but it is another thing for them to slander the competitions' parts by lying.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:46 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm using the Fuelpak on my 09 Road King. Installation was simple and programming was EZ! I've been warned of unexpected failures but never of any sort of blown fuse problem or ECM problem. My unit has been trouble free from the start and never presented any sort of a problem at all.

The only thing that I will say is that if you would be planning on doing any other mods other than a basic intake / muffler change, the Fuelpak probably wouldn't be for you. It isn't a "programmable" tuner that can be dialed in, in as much as a tuner that can be set to pre-determined values to accommodate a pre-determined set up. You should go to V&H web site to determine which of their tuners would meet your needs best.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:38 PM
rjo3491
Road Master

Thanks guys. No, I only plan to do Stage 1 and will limit my pipe choice to the options programmed into the Fuelpak. Looking forward to a better running and sounding bike!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Remember that V&H will provide you with a custom tune once you tell them exaclty what you have. Can't say if its as flexible as other tuners, but you need not limit yourself to what they have pre-listed. My bike runs great with the fuelpack with stock tune and shortshots.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was skeptical as well and read some good reviews as well as some bad reviews. Since I don't plan to go past Stage 1 for another couple of years, I went ahead and bought one. I have the FP3 on my 14' Breakout and it runs great. The software is very user friendly and tuning my bike was a breeze. I am pleased with the way it runs, the A/F ratio is right on, no decal pop anymore, and a noticeable power increase and throttle response.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:28 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I have one and have never had any issues with it at all. Bike runs great.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed mine this Friday and did notice decel popping disappeared about 98%. Can't say I've noticed any other impprovemts as its too soon to say.

Had it show me error codes, and cleared the list. Only code didn't clear up was one about a fail with communication with the ecm. Wil,take a screenshot and contact V&H to see what that might be about. My bike runs the same and didn't have any error codes before. Probably will check again tomorrow to se if code is stil there.

I did see I can edit the maps, do auto tune and probably much more. So I think it's pretty much programable but don't take my word for it. You can mod idle rpm, throttle response, etc. guess I guy who does dyno' would be able to take full advantage.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rjo3491
Hi:

Is anybody using the V&H Fuelpak? The parts guy at the dealer said that this unit could damage the ECM. I've read about some blown fuses, but nothing serious. Anybody heard anything else? Oh, they wanted $900 to dyno test my bike. I thanked him and left.
As stated, I have run the Fuelpak with XIED"s for the last 3 yrs and 15000 miles, with stage 1 mods. It does what it is advertised to do. The Fuelpak is a piggyback tuner and not to be confused with the Fuelpak Fp3 which is a flash tuner. The posts above appear to be confusing the tuners, I think the OP is asking about the Fuelpak piggyback not the flash tuner, I may be wrong.
I have purchased a Superchips Vigilante EZ tuner that is a flash tuner that is similar to the Fp3. It is at a promotional deal for HDForum members at 1/2 price. It is designed for Stage 1 updates only and is easy to self install and works with several tuning features that the Fuelpak does not. I was amazed what this does with regard to power, decel pop and mpg. They are limited on there applications due to it being new. At $150 it's worth a look if they make one for you model.

Last edited by checkers; 09-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:50 PM
rjo3491
Road Master

Originally Posted by checkers
The posts above appear to be confusing the tuners, I think the OP is asking about the Fuelpak piggyback not the flash tuner, I may be wrong.
I actually considered that after my original post. This unit sits between the ECM and the bike and [I don't think] makes any alterations to the ECM itself. I could understand how a unit that actually changes the firmware on the ECM could do harm. Everything I've read about this one is good. I have one ordered. I'll install it as soon as I figure out what pipes I'm going with.

Thanks again all. I feel much better about this decision.

Jay

Quick Reply: V&H Fuelpak