Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice to meet ya'll and need advice on new bike from some Harley vets please...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
soccertees
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Nice to meet ya'll and need advice on new bike from some Harley vets please...

I just picked up a new Street Bob last month and been loving every mile on it so far. I'm at about 800 miles so far.

I just noticed that one of my throttle cables (the one farther away from the gas tank) is loose and can be jiggled around a little.

After searching how to fix it, I find tons of information on how to adjust those cables and or lubricate them. I am no where mechanically inclined to try something like that. My questions are:

1) Is that an extremely easy fix I can do myself? I don't want to make any adjustments or lube any of my throttle cables, I just don't want that front one to jiggle.

2) Should I just let the dealership fix it under the warranty? And since I'm so close to the 1,000 mile service (I'm at 800 miles), should I just get everything taken care of at once?

Thanks! Sorry, if this is confusing and/or long. I'm obvious an FNG to the Harley/Motorcycle/HD Forum and not mechanically inclined (and have no problem admitting that)

Thanks again,
J

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM
MrLeary
Novice

Welcome and congrats on the new bike! If I were only 200 miles from my next service I would just go for a ride and bring it in. Don't forget to mention it to the tech. I would also pick up a service manual while I was there. Learning to do some of your own wrenching can be fun.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Your question didn't belong in the "New Members Area". So it was moved in one of the other forums.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

One of the things done on the first service is to adjust cables and controls. They will take care of it. It's not a warranty issue, it's simply an adjustment.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike.
There's a few videos you can look at on line for adjusting the cables. Watch a couple of them and if they tell you the same procedure, it's probably correct. You can decide if you want to try it yourself. If it's something you don't want to attempt and the bike is running fine, just wait for your service.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
soccertees
Stage III

Thanks for the input everybody. I appreciate it.

I called the service department at my dealership, and he told me, that was nothing to worry about (as long as there was no performance issues). And he also said to do the full break in of 1,000 miles before bringing it in.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle and idle cables are supposed to wiggle around freely a little bit, if that's what you're talking about.

If there's slack in either of the cables between the throttle control and the induction module, then that could be a problem, but that would probably be obvious in the throttle action.